Check out this notch

bstewert

TreeHouser
Pic on a wall in a restaurant in Vernonia, OR. Sorry if it has been posted before.

notch1.jpg

They cut that notch then charged people five cents to get their picture taken on a horse.....cool gig!

Heres one in the Samoa cookhouse

Attachments

• IMG_0526.jpg
    IMG_0526.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0524.jpg
    IMG_0524.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 105
Remember that first pic the cut was made with a cross cut but the roof was cut with an axe .Lawdy I can't imagine .

I've got the Time/Life book titled "the loggers " which shows early timber cutting in the east as well as the PNW .It's full of old timey pictures like that .

Those eastern loggers could drop a 4 foot oak in about half a day with cross cut and axe .When they saw the PNW Douglas firs and redwoods they had no idea how to fall them .If they did get them dropped they broke half of them which led to topping in order not to destroy the log .

All I can say is they certainly must have been a hardy lot .Good grief attacking a 20 foot tree with an axe .

The wife and I ate at the cookhouse following my redwood climb with Willie a couple years ago. Well worth the stop. Great collection of photos and equipment there also.

The thing that gets me about those old logging pics, is that you would think the guys would have enormous muscles, but they pretty much look average builds.

According to that book the average logger was about 165 pounds and tough as a wildcat .They could metabolise an amazing 8000 calories a day .

these pics are available from...the old picture guy..in ferndale ca...he used to sell them at hansens truck stop.
might call chaz at hansen wire rope see if he has the number to thim, they sell for 10 bucks i think

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I doubt they are falling any trees that size nowadays, but if they were, how do you suppose it would be done differently?

Back