left handed handlebar

sierratree

TreeHouser
Working with a guy who is really, really, left handed..........anyone know if there is a retrofit handlebar for lefties? Has a lot of trouble adapting to the current handlebar config.

Not for anything manufactured in the last 35 years, no. He will need to get over it or do something for a living besides running chainsaws. I'm left handed as are many on this forum.

I'm left-handed & use a saw right-handed. Part of being a leftie in a right-handed world is learning the ability to adapt. I bet if you make him use a saw right-handed he will get used to it quickly & soon. In my opinion (with the exception of 1 handing a climbing saw) the use of a saw is not affected by being left handed

People can adapt if they put their mind to it .I'm a righty but on certain things like welding it doesn't make any difference which hand I use .By the same token though certain other things don't work so well .

Awhile back my shoulder was hurting a bit, so I started holding the saw with my right hand and pulling the starter with my left, always the opposite before. Now it seems more ergonomic to do it that way with the starter handle closer in and more strength holding the saw. It occurs that it is probably good to switch around every now and then.

My sister is a Physical Therapist. I was having some problems and her advice was to change things up. Anything repetitive takes it toll eventually. Getting to the work smart phase before we are worn out helps.

It really helps to be ambidextrous in this work. Especially when working on a leaner without any overhead support.

Well said.

Any aspiring faller who can't be ambidextrous in his line of work is gonna have a severely limited mobility and skill set.

A guy that was very lefty, trying to use the saw the wrong way cut his pants once, and his chaps another time. It puts the bar way closer to the leg. It will come with practice to use it the way its intended.

A full wrap bar is useful, but left hand on the pistol grip puts the body right in line with the bar, increasing the danger of a saw kicking back.

Watching the Madsen's chaps testing videos on YouTube might be good incentive to learn to use the saw properly.

I just ran into a woman that I knew from 5 years ago. She probably got the least cut a person can be cut in the face when an MS 460 kicks back. Saws are not meant to be run with a left hand on the rear handle.

Interesting. I'll use a saw right or left handed, no problem at all. I guess I just don't know a thing about understand kickback or saw positioning. Bummer.

Perhaps, one of these days, I'll figure out how to use a chainsaw.

With right hand on trigger, lift saw and see where the bar goes -- past the right ear. Now switch hands, left on trigger and raise saw, bar goes through center of forehead. Try the same thing in a position to cut off a stump. If both Hands remain on bar in right handed configuration you can not get bar swung around to your right leg. With hands reversed it is easy to swing saw into right leg.
PS: The last one is what left the big hole in my chaps.

MB, I mean that during limbing and bucking, it leads to poor positioning. For felling, less so.

When a person rests the side of the saw against their body, a lefty grip puts the bar and chain within about 2" of the leg. Loose chaps worsen the situation because they can be snagged more easily and pulled around, whereas with the righty grip keep the saw a full powerhead width away from your leg.

When limbing, and bucking from an upright position , I frequently rest the lower corner of the 3/4 wrap handle on my left kneecap, giving three points of contact/ tripod stability, allowing me to cut very close to the ground or other object with little risk of 'dirting' the saw.

A sawyer is hard pressed not to stand in line with the bar when holding onto the pistol grip lefty-style.

For a more experienced, well rested, and stronger sawyer, this last point is less important, but for less experience, fatigued, or less strong sawyers, it can lead to trouble.

Had that woman not had the her body in-line with the saw, the kickback would have missed her. She wasn't a weak rookie. A lot of people like to look down the bar when their cutting instead of using proper body positioning off to the side.

Good explanation, Sean.

All this makes me wonder why they don't offer the option for a left handed model?

I cut righty or lefty it depends on the situation. I cut probably 96% of the time righty but there are time when using lefty is a necessity.

Probably too small of a market. Imagine the cost.

I dunno... a huge company should have the ability to a offer special, 'lil niche type of product if there was the chance of ANY type of market out there. And as we all know, there ARE lefty sawer's out there

Yo Stihl, Huskie! Ya'll hearing this? You can afford to do it!!! :rockon:

I don't get the big deal; y'all don't use left-handed steak knives, do ya?

If you can't adapt to the saw, find another line of work.

Back