Wanted

• Thread starter TonyNY
  • Start date
  • Replies 85
  • Views 15K
T

TonyNY

Husqvarna 281,288,372,385 running strong. Stihl 044,046,066. I am looking for a 70-90cc saw. If anyone has something good they are willing to part with please let me know. I am in dire need.

Tony

He'll likely have a hard time finding a 281 Huskey .Those that have them keep them .That's one dandy of a saw .That was before the days the EPA screwed with them .Got one in the shed as a matter of fact ,not for sale .

My 281 is in the shed too, along with a new cylinder, piston, ring set and gasket set; waiting on having the time to rejuvenate it; one of my favorite saws.

I have one that is modded by the master, Ed Heard and that baby screams like none other.

Are you looking to buy a saw or are you hoping the Chainsaw Fairy will bring you one? I am a little unclear on this.

You just missed some good deals on a 288 and 075 already sold in for sale section. Deals are out there if you keep a eye open.

288xp light. $150.00 + shipping, powerhead only.
075 for sale. 111cc 30". $175.00 + shipping.

Not on your list, but is 72cc .

I forgot all about this saw being on my shelves with my other huskys. Husqvarna 268SE XP with a 272xp topend 72cc with only a couple tanks through the new aftermarket top end. Could let it go PHO, no bar or chain included.

Thread of the 268se xp history and how this one seems to be rarer then most out there. http://chainsawrepair.createaforum.com/husqvarna/husqvarna-268/

If your interested PM me.

2100268372365362002-1.jpg

Kevin I bought that never used 1993 Husqvarna 272XP the other day for $300, it came with a Jonsered badged bar so I ordered a new Husqvarna powermatch bar .
I will post pics when I get it together.
I can see why Husqvarna still makes the 272XP in Brazil alongside their 372XP. Just another choice for loggers. The 272 is much more compact then the 372 and with almost 2 more cc's in displacment, also non rev limit ignition and no restrictor caps on the carb.
It still hasn't cut a stick of wood yet but my trigger finger is getting very itchy with a strong urge to put it to work.:lol:

And before you know it your trigger finger will go numb if you put it to work to much. Lol.

The anti-vibe leaves something to be desired on the 272 imo, they ought to sell it with heli-coils it shakes and rattles so damn bad.

Sounds like a good score though.

And before you know it your trigger finger will go numb if you put it to work to much. Lol.

The anti-vibe leaves something to be desired on the 272 imo, they ought to sell it with heli-coils it shakes and rattles so damn bad.

Sounds like a good score though.
Yes I noticed the vibs right away reving it up WOT comared to my 372, but not bad at all. But all the years I ran those older Jonsered/Huskies and 044 included I never had a problem. When I first used the 372 I thought the thing was way too loose with poor control in the handling department.

A step up in ccs from that one, but I regularly work on a 288xp that belongs to crazy priest. I know it pretty well after installing a new cylinder and piston, after gas from a container that didn't get shook up was put in it. It's in the shop right now with the chain brake frozen up. I've cut a little wood with it when I had it around, but never any felling. A powerful saw that seems like a good one.

Everyone has their weakpoint. Mine is my hands, when I switched up from 272's to 046's I had noticeable relief in a short time from the vibe difference. When I ran 272's sometimes it would get so bad I was triggering with my pinky and had heard of other guys taping their left hand onto the handlebar and had been considering it myself. Also in all fairness when I switched to the 046 I went to heated handles and that made a huge difference too I think.

The 272 cuts like a beast though I'll give it that.

Yes Jay the 288 is a sweet saw too. I actually switched to Stihl when Husky started their change-up from those models 266, 272, 288, despite my vibe complaints they were really good saws.

Just looking at that pic of that skinny handlebar on the top of the page makes my hands go number than they already are though. Lol.

It seems that anti vib systems can be a catch 22 .They make them very shock absorbing but then they tear up the mounts .Too ridgid they cause nerve damage from extended use .

It seems perhaps the newer spring mounts are promising which in reality is not a new idea at all .Rather an older method being revisited .

There's a phenoninum in physics called resonant freqeuncy .At a certain speed the frequencies of vibration amplify one another .At speeds above or below that certain frequency they have a tendency cancel one another out . This may or may not be the cause of those complaints .

My 288 lite doesnt seem to vibrate too bad.....Its not smooth as glass but never enough vibration to bug me.

Anti vibe chain, is that where the drive links extend up to alongside the rakers, or is that safety chain? That isn't new, so you must be referring to something else.

Yah I'm interested in knowing what you meant too?

Imo, and the opinion of my hands saws have come along ways in anti-vibe/ergonomics. A big help for me was the larger diameter handlebars. The new 'spring' anti-vibes are way smoother feeling to me than the older rubber mounts. Opposite of Al I found the older husky mounts were always getting forked up and I've had no issues with the newer smoother Stihl mounts.

I think he is meaning the Stihl RSC RMC PMC chain and the Oregon LP and newer LPX. Different raker angles to cutter designs for less vibrations felt.

See what you mean about slim handle on 268 272, never noticed that till I grabbed it and a 372 today. I do like thicker handles. Thats what made me trade a full wrap off a dolmar 166 for a half wrap. Full wrap was to thin.

I agree with Willard that the spring AV mounts do give less precise handling...it took me a little time to get with it on my 361. But a bit more attention to the kerf on my part seems to be enough for me to keep on top of it.

Worth it for the much lower vibration transmitted to and through the handles, imo.

We used to take those old rigid mounts and wrap either pipe insulation or rubber electrical tape arond the handles .It gave it a little cushion but more so it increased the diameter of the bar . It helped a lot .

On those mounts ,for some reason the souped up 038 mag just goes through them .I think I tear them up making up cuts .Now weather it's the extra power or not I'm not sure . So far I've gone through two boots that got torn plus two top mounts and one front corner mount .I've never had that problem before on any Stihl I've owned .

Back