Chain splice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Would a crown knot keep the strands from unraveling? I guess I am not sure why you guess are saying that.

It will keep the strands running more parallel to the load. In your top picture there is one strand running almost 90deg to the load.

"Poorman's Pulley Saver". It's a tad bulky, but it works like a charm. You just have to watch out when you pull it out of the tree.

Thanks, I couldn't figure out how to flip it from my phone..... I really have to start using the computer more.

I feel like I am about 66 most days. Those little turds in my avatar add more and more gray hairs to my head every day.

To keep three strand from unraveling on the ends either tape the strands or melt the ends with a lighter,match ,whatever

I've tried just leaving it fluffy and over time it sortof just "settles" in. Of all the options, I like this the best. But it looks like crap when it is new and most customers don't like it.

That leads me to melt the ends unless they request something different.

I have even whipped the splice termination on some three strand slings that I made. I was board over winter.

Until it comes off. I've used clear HS tubing from heatshrink.com and couldn't get it to stay in place unless I whipped it down. If I was gonna whip it, I woulda just whipped the rope instead...

All our commercially made safety lanyards and work postioning ropes are served over with clear shrink tube .

Now back in my sea going days we left the tails hang out on the eye splices of the 2 inch mooring lines made of nylon three strand .It was because of the 70 percent elongation of the line .

Back