In-wire trees

treesandsurf

Treehouser
I've got to put a bid on two monkeypod tree removals that are growing up into the lines. What do you guys think, the high tension lines way overhead are clear (10ft. plus), but obviously the branches are growing up and into the second rung of lines. I'm on the border of just skipping it and moving on, but the property owner really wants me to do the work.

monkeypod removals 2.jpg monkeypod removals.jpg

jp:D

Looks like easy bucket access and nice DZ when when coned off. If the sole issue is the wires use line clearance rated pole pruners or pole saw to clear wires past minimum approach distance then take down..

Communications wires are no big deal, and are stronger than you think. The power lines are well clear so there's no good reason to pass on the work.

Minimum approach for communications wires is "Don't touch them". After all, they might be energized. It's only a one-in-a-million chance that they might be energized, but you're still supposed to pretend like they are evil, wicked and not to be touched. ;)

They're always energized; Telephone is 48 volts DC, CATV is about 75 volts AC, at the pole.

I misjudged the distance to a fiber optic wire a few years ago. I hit it with the spar and it slingshot the spar up in the air a good 10 feet. Course that was after it and the spar touched the ground!!!

Truly; the messenger lines they string phone and cable up with are seriously strong.

I can't really tell by the second photo but it appears that pole mounted transformer could be feeding that secondy run of three wires .If so it's most likely 120/240 single phase .Trace it and find out . You don't have to worry much about the phone wire or whatever it is ,just don't drop a big limb on it .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can't really tell by the second photo but it appears that pole mounted transformer could be feeding that secondy run of three wires .If so it's most likely 120/240 single phase .Trace it and find out . You don't have to worry much about the phone wire or whatever it is ,just don't drop a big limb on it .

I think you're right about that Al, that's what got me spooked about the job. The communications wires I'm not worried about either, I've done some work on a few of them without problems in the past. It's those secondary lines I was feeling dicey about,

It's hard to tell from the photos but there are branches growing up and into those second row of three lines.

the lowest line is phone the second is catv the third is fiber optic so ur good just dont hit the fiber optic cus its $7-15 dollers afoot to replace and all three are to be grounded every thre to four poles to like static out of all three

hey
with what you and al were talking about.....ive done a few of those...heres the thing i did, i used my clean poles, and reached up gingerly between the 3 phases, and clipped off all the lil side branches in tiny bits, and spear cut the wood out of them, just dont bridge the phases, they are generally only carrying the same current as the 3 strand house drop.
keep clear of the top lines...they bite

you could probabally use a lift from the rental yard, one of the trailer mounted booms, will get it, i know it's hoky butit works and for about 300 for the day ya cant beat it.

be safe and bang it out

Doesn't look like too big a deal from here but if its in the secondaries, can you just call for some line clearance from a line crew thats contracted already? Offer to do the cleanup for them.

Thanks for the advice, I might try that willie as I think davey is even in the area right now doing some work...

If your nice and tell them you will clean up I have had them brush out a pretty good portion of a tree for me. I always wave or stop to chat with them and have several friends on the line side, goes a long ways

Like I said it's hard to determine from just a picture .However if that is in fact a run of 120/240 it's no big deal .Just don't drop something and break the lines .

Stay away from that primary on insulaters on the cross arms .That's the one that can turn you into a crispy critter .Most likely 7200 volts which is 4160 to ground .

$7-$15/foot to replace fiber optic cable, my heart bleeds for ya. Over here.....let's see given the current exchange rate, it would work out to a bit over $12,000.00 plus whatever costs might be incurred by someone unable to go on line as a result of the disconnect. I haven't heard of anyone breaking one, but it's bound to happen. More than ridiculous.

Fiber optic cable repair can put you of biz up here. I heard first hand of a company using a hedge trimmer nicking one a couple of year ago and the repair bill was in the 10's of thousands of dollars.

Back