3 strand lanyard / FS

quabinclimber

TreeHouser
Here's some of my 3 strand / tenex splicing. uses 2 biners and # 2 boat snap

question: I used NE ropes rope to chain splice to attach to the gold biner'. Is this the prefered method?

Splices 001 (Small).jpg

I guess it would depend on your preference. If you take out the biner it could loosen up your splice if I remember right. I would have spliced in a biner/snap with a swivel. Nice work otherwise.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
its mainly for retrieval when in FS mode.... it works

i have a three strand fs i made. it is like yours but i spliced a large ring where you have the biner. also i used a webbing loop and klemheist for the adjustable end. i like the chain splice, but would worry about it comming loose if you removed the biner.

The clip doesn't have to be load bearing for retrieval purposes so it doesn't really matter if it looks cheesy, but you might find that it snags on branches a lot if you have to pull it through any foliage. I use a washer on mine instead of a snap because of that.

Great thread! I'm glad you took the time to put your work up to see what others think. Here's my thoughts...

1. I like the idea of using a lanyard also as a friction saver. It's one of those, "huh...why didn't I think of that" sort of things!
2. What folks are saying about you "losing your eye" when you take out the biner is correct. Be careful! Two ways around it that I can think of off the top of my head are A) Use a thimble, B) dip the eye in a coating so that it keeps it form when you remove the biner
3. The splice you used seem structurally fine, but rather than just the standard "fold over and start tucking" splice, consider incorporating the crown knot. It has a much neater finished appearance and it stresses all three strands evenly. You can see directions here: http://www.ropeworks.biz/reader/crown.pdf
4. Ditch the electrical tape on the three strand rope. It won't last in the trees and it becomes a mess when it starts peeling. I say leave little tails hanging out. After a while, they fluff sorta settles in and you don't notice it.
5. Why is there tape on the blue eye-eye? It shouldn't be there.
6. Bounce is right about that snap. It's gonna stink when it snaps itself to a small limb. I only use something locking there. A screwlink would be better. Or if you want to stay with something fast (screw links ARE tedious), try something like a scissor snap

116103.jpg

Either way, all in all, it looks good. I'd climb on it! (but I'm not climbing up to retrieve it!)

love
nick

Can you do a close up of all the splices?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
First off, thanks for all the comments!

I was planning on dedicating that gold biner' to this system as long as it lasts so I do not plan to remove it but you never know so I'll be using a thimble and try the triple crown knot in the future.

I used electrical tape on the tenex tec to cover up my lock stitches. I used three stiches on each side of the splice tied the ends off to eachother and tucked them in. I'm not sure why I used all the tape to cover them up?

I like the scissor snap idea much better then what I'm using, I really only used it because thats what I had at the time, I do want to stay with something fast as you mentioned.

I will work on close ups of the splices.

thanks for all the help

Back