8mm Beeline splice (warning its ugly)

quabinclimber

TreeHouser
Made my first 8mm Beeline splice the other day, I never realized how delicate the core was! i was picking and ripping fibers all over the place! then whipping the cover to the core was a disaster, the cover kept fraying. Any secret tips on splicing this stuff?

Also, do you stitch lock the core before putting the cover on?

note: I will not be climbing on this one (it was practice only)

Splices 004 (Small).jpg

You dipped those eyes? I tape the end then trim as neatly as possible then do the whipping with the tape in place, the whipping hides the tape.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I dipped them after I stitched the cover on but it was sloppy, I don't see how you could use beeline without the eyes dipped (in something) other wise it would just pick apart everytime you inserted a biner'. Question: are you supposed to lock stitch the core before you put the cover on? That's what I did with this one.

Yes, do a lock stitch in the core...just in case.

Whatever you're using to dip it in, thin it down!

If you're ripping and shredding core fuzzies while splicing the core, then you need to slow down and maybe use different tools, or use the ones you're using differently.

There are a lot of different ways people go about dealing with the cover. The way I do it is a secret I'll take to my death!, but the idea of taping the cover then whipping over it isn't a bad one. I'd use the blue painters tape , whip over that, then rip off whatever doesn't get covered by the whipping.

Locking brummels on both eyes, I assume? What is the overall length of the tail, how much did you taper, and what whipping directions did you use?

love
nick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
10-4 on the lock stitch, Ha, the dipping as an experiment and one of my first times using it. I got a good laugh at myself when it came out that way.

before i spliced this I had only splice tenex and ice tail before so I thought I could move like I do with those materials, I think your right on about speed, I just need to slow down.

Yes locking brummels on both eyes. somehow the overall length came out much longer then I originally messured it out to be but I dont have exact numbers right now. I think I tapered something like 6-7" on both sides.

For the whipping I semi-followed yales directions but in the end I just sort of figured out my own way. which may be kosher or not. (again I'm not climbing on this)

Back