CAPTAIN JACK HAMMER

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I did do some video but it is pretty boring. Drillin and Pickin away at the concrete was a real chore.
If I get time this weekend I'll make a movie.
I still have a bit more concrete to remove. I did find rebar and it made more time consuming.
Funny thing is my new client is a Dental surgeon and will likely think this is all bit to close to home. Pun intended!

I once busted out a ceramic drum that turns sand into silica,tiles hard as hell damm never again!

thats insane hanging from a rope hope you had plenty of bits for the hammer.

That was a lot of work. Why did the concrete have to be removed?

Dave

Concrete come out for three primary reasons. One, it creates an unwanted fulcrum when the leaders get pushed together. , Removal of concrete will help prevent failure/fracturing at the base of the tree.
Second, Inspection of decay and damage in that specific area is necessary to confidently recommend removal or cabling or pruning.
Third the concrete will hold moisture in the most senstive area and furthering decay. Darkenes and mositure are key for decay organisms proliferation. gravitational weight may also add to the potential for fracturing or failure.

May be more reasons but reasons for it to stay are zero at this point.
Hope that answer your question.
The job was loser $ wise. Cooked my dad's hammer drill and almost two days for the full removal of all the concrete.
As we all experience not every job can make money.
We did have fun and it is a cool experience, learning and sharing and saving an otherwise condemned tree.
I will make a little of it back with the prune and the recable and again in couple of years to reprune and again and again.

Around here they actually lay brick in cavities... tree masonry.

Standing water in cavities suppreses aerobic bacteria and fungal spores. Cavity draining was passé 20 years ago, I remember my father doing his last one.

Thor very true.

We are trying to return the tree to natural process and not upset its dynamics.
Actually the tree cavity did not have standing water to note.
We see that the concrete maintained a humidity and darkeness that wouldn't have been there before install of concrete.

Were you able to remove it all?

Any thoughts on the effect of jack hammering on the tree.

Hope you've been well compensated. That had to have been a lot of hard work, especially when you wouldn't rest the weight of the jack hammer vertically on the cement.

Yeah its all out. Loading the vid to youtube as we speak.
Jack Hammer should have no effect, most everything is dead all the way around that was in contact with the concrete.

The gap that you see is all dead and most of the debris was scooped out there.

The thickest part is on the vertical and found it chipped more easily on sides and bottom.

No money made on this part of the job.

CAPTAIN JACK HAMMER ROCKS IT OUT!

In retrospect, we all need to pay for our sins. :(
No better way for us than caring for the largest living organisms on the planet.:D
Really happy to share this all with you gentlemen!
Hope you Enjoy the vid as much as we have bustin the shat out and makin the vid itself.

Happy Easter!:big-angel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goH359NKpKI&feature=youtube_gdata

Last edited:
Back