The Garden Thread

sotc

Dormant hero!!
Must have lost our garden thread also. My Father in law has been working away in his green house. This is one flat of tomatos, about 200 plants, he has between 25 and 30 of these flats!

Attachments

• 2011-03-26 10.19.35.jpg
    2011-03-26 10.19.35.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 4
NOT FAIR!!!

We've still got frost and snow here:cry:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Green house man! Were in the same boat weather wise, serious storms rollin through. Been at field capacity for nearly a month

Do you heat the greenhouse then?
I have a large greenhouse ( or rather, my wife does) but it is nowhere near warm enough to sprout anything in there for at least another month. And with energy prices here, heating it makes for some very expensive veggies.

Rob started a few flats here of tomatoes. He has since started more. We had plenty until he sat the flats out in the sun on one of the few days we had some. Goats found their way through a gate and ate em :lol:

Big sodium light usually does it with occasional supplimental heat

Very cool. Next year I'll probably throw up a mini green house. Depends on how much room the mini dirt bike track takes up though.:)

Mom's got a greenhouse. Collapsed this winter. Going a different route for it in the fall, different style and materials. She wants it bigger, and heated with wood too.:|:

Will be planting spuds later today, and walla walla onions amongst others. Last weekend I seeded sunflowers, peas, beans and some lettuce outside in larger pots.

We planted onion starts and greens seeds last weekend. Haven't gotten around to much else gardenwise. Just pruning and training our fruit trees, and getting ready to plant more apples and pears.

What does he do with them all? Must sell or give away some. That's a lot of plants.

Both, and sells the fruit also. He usually lays out an acre of corn along with beans, peppers, strawberries, watermelon and cantelope, pumpkins, winter squash, summer squash, grapes, chard, asparagus, broccoli, rhubarb and more I can't think of

Done! For today anyhoo.Spuds and onions in pots and a few in the ground.

Attachments

• IMAG1413.jpg
    IMAG1413.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 4
  • IMAG1422.jpg
    IMAG1422.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMAG1420.jpg
    IMAG1420.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMAG1428.jpg
    IMAG1428.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 4
  • IMAG1429.jpg
    IMAG1429.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMAG1436.jpg
    IMAG1436.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMAG1435.jpg
    IMAG1435.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 4
Yup, last years plants and the runners they set out. :) I bought another 10 pack of roots as well, Fort Laramie, supposedly a good yielder, a new one for my garden.

I'm building a raised bed, got rasberries started, got 5 kinds of blueberries to cover the seasons, and haven't decided what i'm going to do with the other half
Your strawberies should start producing this year eh?

They did last year actually, the new ones should do this year as well, just have to keep the slugs off them. I have 3 kinds of blueberries, yielding mid through late. only 5 bushes total so far, limited space and all.

I"ve got tomatoes sprouting in the laundry room. Honeoye (sp?) strawberries I first planted 15 years ago, just have a few plants left...I'm going to put them in a raised bed (the kids' old sandbox.)

and........daylilies. sooooooo many daylilies.

Last week was perfect summerlike weather, I was out everyday til it was too dark to see. Snow is expected tomorrow. :roll:

Well, at least I'm not lily white anymore. :D

Looks nice, Paul.

I was working away all afternoon out in the yard. Got to get my garden beds weeded and mulched and then off to the lumber yard to build some raised veggie beds. Got a row of lombardies to reduce on Mon. and I might taks some of the smaller limbs and make a little fence with it to separate my lawn and mulched beds.

The ones I have at my maintenance sites are about 4 inches tall, if that. Many weeks before they think of blooming.

I'm sure they're happier there than here, Brian....I just put another log into the woodstove.

They're about 4" tall here too, Paul. It's a good time to 'inventory', I can see what's there before they've all grown together.

I'm going to grow 1/2 runner green beans on an old swing set this year. I'm going to wire cattle panels up the sides and hopefully later in the summer, stand or sit underneath in the shade and pick beans hanging though.

Sounds like a nice way to spend some time in the shade this summer Che. Share some pics when it happens, so we have something to look at next winter.

Here's one from last summer. Beans on the vertical cattle panels.
Moonflowers on the fence in front. I won't be doing that again, it's been a pain pulling them off the fence now.

Attachments

• beans_moonflowers.jpg
    beans_moonflowers.jpg
    415.4 KB · Views: 4
Back