Re Fire and trees

rskybiz

TreeHouser
I am seeking advice. I have been asked to evaluate and give a recomendation. A fire had gotten out of control and it burned a fair amount of tree farm trees Live oaks from 6 to 10 in dbh, in the ground plantings for the final three year phase. I have seen the burn site and know that they can and do survive fire but this is a rather special case an I am trying to help the ins adjuster come to a reasonable loss quote. I know the fire boiled the sap in many and they will die or not perform to growing standards.
So here is my question's is there a formula for survival rates in light of fires? Or at what point or Percentage of crown die back would one consider a total loss?
I am talking a few hundred so the potential payout is rather large as it will be at market value per tree.
I am some what leary in calling x# trees lost as it happens to be fall for them here.
Any words of wisdom or ISA cert arborists willing to look and base findings in writing as to amount lost vs damaged? north Fl, Georgia?

Count the obvious losses so the guy gets his working capital, come back after the temps come up and the trees are transpiring and get another tally, you should be able to do a final tally this fall for the trees that have survived but may not be marketable.

In terms of nursery trees, I think total loss. Even if they survive, would you buy a landscape tree that you knew was burned over? Think of the nursery's reputation if it came out they were selling those trees as anything other than salvage.

Fire is necessary to scarify the seeds of certain species and it promotes growth in certain situations but it's bad for young, live trees.

Longleaf pine has adapted to fire and is fire resistant in its early age grass stage (up to around 3-7 years old). Fire ecology is really interesting with trees.

I agree with Blinky though, I wouldn't buy a nursery tree that was in a fire unless it was at a salvage price. Therefore, I would have to imagine that most of those trees would be included in the loss quote.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you all for the input. No I would not buy trees that were stressed. If you are Isa certified and near me, pm me please!

Brett might be the closest ISA certified Treehouser. I never bothered keeping up with mine after the initial 3 year certification.

Back