yale xtc

emr

Cheesehead Treehouser
We just recently bought a 600ft spool of XTC White 16 strand and I was thinking about trying to learn how to splice 16 stand with it. I figure I will have plenty to learn on so screwing up will not be so bad. However I thought I heard that Yales XTC was just about the most difficult 16 strand to splice. Is that true? Should I not even bother trying to splice it?

Snot hard. 'least not any harder than any of the other 16 strands IMO. Got a Toss wand? Directions? You can do it I'm sure.

It IS worth the bother trying.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No Toss wand, but I have a nice little fleet of pianio wire fids..... hope that works instead.

Out of the main three, Samson is the most arduous, next is Yale, then New England.
I find the tricky part of the XTC is they braid their core, gives a better opportunity to hang up when inserting the fid. FYI fior the final bury a wire fid is the way to go.

XTC is a bitch, don't use a wand, a long piano wire gives you a lot more room and you'll need it.

If you're doing a friction saver, just pull the whole core out and it will be easier. It's squeezing past the core that sucks so much. Like Wiley said, it's EASY to snag when you push the fid, make absolutely sure everything still slides once the fid is through before pulling the bury.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the advise. I dont really know what I will splice but maybe a friction saver will be a good start for me. You can never have too many I guess. I currently have 3 so what is one more?

I find the tricky part of the XTC is they braid their core, gives a better opportunity to hang up when inserting the fid. FYI fior the final bury a wire fid is the way to go.

I'm not so sure about that. The core of XTC is twisted. Though NER, Samson, and Yale all use a different number of strands in their core, they are all using twisted strands and not braided. Atlantic Braids/All Gear uses a braided core on at least some of their 16 strands.

Regardless, I agree 100% about the wand. This rope is not the place for it.

love
nick

Back