Volunteer Hazard Tree Falling

• Thread starter forestryworks
  • Start date
  • Replies 47
  • Views 6K
F

forestryworks

After introducing myself over in the new members thread, I thought I would post a thread here with some videos and some pictures of my volunteer work that I do while going to forestry school.

Here is the latest video with a few pics.

This tree leaned down the hill, with power lines on the downhill side, as well as all the crown weight on the downhill side as well.

I put a block face in the tree with a full snipe on the stump. Didn't want the holding wood breaking prematurely cause it would pull downhill and hang up in the pine. And it did pull about a foot downhill as expected.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ml9i52dZFZ0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

166664_492964100886_513110886_6673364_4864779_n.jpg

179244_492964140886_513110886_6673365_6828256_n.jpg

Those poor wedges, you beat the hell out of them. :cry:

Welcome to the Treehouse, glad to see you making yourself at home. :D

Didn't want the holding wood breaking prematurely

It that what a block face prevents?

I see your brown belt that holds the wedge pouch - what's the black suspender thing?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Welcome to the tree house! What part of the country are you learning in?
Nice fell BTW.

Currently in Oklahoma. Started out in Texas and spent a little time in Colorado.

It that what a block face prevents?

I see your brown belt that holds the wedge pouch - what's the black suspender thing?

Block face lets the holding wood more or less fold or bow over, as compared to the pinch face - snaps.

Radio harness.

Thanks for the welcome by the way!

Nice, little better than it looked. Wedges have been around the cut block:)

Welcome. Who the heck taught you to one hand a saw like that when starting to put in the face? With all due respect, that looked a bit too casual.

Welcome. Who the heck taught you to one hand a saw like that when starting to put in the face? With all due respect, that looked a bit too casual.

One handed sawing is not a habit of mine.

However, on this tree the saw was dogged in pretty damn tight while starting and during the undercut. (Thanks to Madsen's for their HD falling dogs.)

Also, I am better able to watch the top with one hand off the saw, as I am squared up to the tree better.

I really wanted to watch the top of this tree as I started my undercut, to see how far, if any, it was going to move ahead. I already had my work cut out for me with the downhill lean.

Like I said, it's not a habit of mine, but it happens.

Just a note about it really, not wanting to get on your case. I one hand too, it just looked a bit illogical in the vid, more relaxed than cautious, iike it could have pretty easily kicked out being held so lightly. Wanting to watch the top...whatever, you were there and know better what was happening, but I will take the liberty of reminding that you do have to make sacrifices for safety, bro. Anyway, no big deal...happy cutting. :)

Hahaha...THAT is the video I want to see. A faller using his cell phone (or laptop) while making the back cut.

Hahaha...THAT is the video I want to see. A faller using his cell phone (or laptop) while making the back cut.

I haven' done it felling, but I have talked on a cell topping a pine once. The next the i bought a new cell phone.

Here is a new one. Nothing special. A fairly solid snag for the most part; first break was at 63'. Fairly good sized tree for this neck of the woods.

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NdiZHqv9W4I?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NdiZHqv9W4I?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Back