back in the Woods

GASoline71

'cause chicks dig scars
Got a call from a buddy of mine yesterday... to fall some pretty big Maple trees in a tract of land where the landowner wants to plant cedar trees. So I was the hired gun for 2 days of fallin' some big ass Maple. Some of the biggest I've put on the ground...

Almost needed springboards for a couple. The way the trees had grown, most of the cuts were made chest high or above. The side hill the were on didn't help any either. It wasn't all that steep... but to fall to the lay meant i had to be on the downhill side for most of them.

Anyways... needless to say it was great gettin' back in the woods and runnin' the 044 through some wood. :)

Gary

Attachments

• Maple Day 2 029.JPG
    Maple Day 2 029.JPG
    271.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Maple Day 2 009.JPG
    Maple Day 2 009.JPG
    294.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Maple Day 2 036.JPG
    Maple Day 2 036.JPG
    266.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Maple Day 2 004.JPG
    Maple Day 2 004.JPG
    287.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Maple Day 2 035.JPG
    Maple Day 2 035.JPG
    241.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Maple Day 2 024.JPG
    Maple Day 2 024.JPG
    243.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Maple Day 2 005.JPG
    Maple Day 2 005.JPG
    266 KB · Views: 16
  • Maple Day 2 023.JPG
    Maple Day 2 023.JPG
    267 KB · Views: 13
  • Maple Day 2 008.JPG
    Maple Day 2 008.JPG
    266 KB · Views: 15
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cool deal, Gary. That old 044 looks sharp!

I got that 044 from Wally Risdon (Reddog) back in 2004 or 2005. Wally had taken really good care of it... so it was nice to get a saw that was in perfect working order to start with. :)

Good stuff, glad you enjoyed it. Looks like some nice millable log also.

The guy I am cutting for is gonna send some of the logs to the mill. We also got some really nice burls off of some of them that will make great tabletops. The smaller burls will make neat bowls. 2 of the trees were co-doms that had a 5 foot by 3 foot base before they split. So we are going back up there next week with one of my big McCullochs to take a slab or 2 out of the stump for tabletops. :)

Gary

It did Stephen... it did mang.

That 044 is the best 044/440 I've ever owned/used... it's the same one I was talkin' about in your 044 thread in the chainsaw forum. :)

Gary

It has a 28" ES bar, and I am runnin' Stihl Rapid Super Full Skip 3/8" .050 chain.

I added a USA Handlebars 3/4 wrap, and a fallin' dog set with ceramic roller chain catcher. Both came from Madsen's down in Centralia, WA.

Gary

I'll probably be running the 28 once I get the dogs for her. I have both the 28 and the 25. I was running the 28 on the 066 until I got the dogs for her. Now I just keep the 36 on her. Stihl getting used to the big dogs. Dang things bite hard! Only 1/2 wraps on my saws so far. :dontknow: Take what ya get when ya get it used :lol: Worried about ALAP on the stumpage also. So I don't know if I can use a 3/4 or full wrap until I manage to get two of each saw going on. That ceramic roller chain catcher sounds nice.. I will have to look that up in Madsens for sure.
I also really like the wider sprocket cover I put on my 066. The wider discharge is nice.

I'll probably be running the 28 once I get the dogs for her. I have both the 28 and the 25. I was running the 28 on the 066 until I got the dogs for her. Now I just keep the 36 on her. Stihl getting used to the big dogs. Dang things bite hard! Only 1/2 wraps on my saws so far. :dontknow: Take what ya get when ya get it used :lol: Worried about ALAP on the stumpage also. So I don't know if I can use a 3/4 or full wrap until I manage to get two of each saw going on. That ceramic roller chain catcher sounds nice.. I will have to look that up in Madsens for sure.
I also really like the wider sprocket cover I put on my 066. The wider discharge is nice. Probably going to put one on the 044 also.

I also really like the wider sprocket cover I put on my 066. The wider discharge is nice.

I really need to get one of those for my 044... I ate a lot of chips today cuttin' clutch side up a few times.

I don't have to worry about ALAPing stumps, so the 3/4 works great for me. Mine is made by USA Handlebars... lightweight aluminum. With a nice fat grip too. Works great for my big ol' paws to grip better. Madsen's usually has the 3/4 wrap USA bars in stock. But the full wrap USA bars are usually on back order.

It's just one old cat that makes the bars for USA Handlebars... he has his own pace. So when he's in the mood for makin' bars... they have a lot. Whne he decides to take a month or 2 off... they all go on backorder. :lol:

here is a linky to their site... Madsen's Shop and Supply Co.

Gary

Thanks. I have done business with Madsens already ;)
The wide cover I got from Baileys. Downside is you have to glue the nylon chain guards on. Up side is the thing has a serious flap on it. I about buried my feet the other day sawing a pine log.. 28 or 30 dia. :lol: I looked down and I only saw my ankles :lol: Freaked me out.

No rooster tail... Everything I cut went to my feet.. I had the log laying across some wood I placed before I settled it down for the cookie fest. So most everything shot straight down.

Nice Gary! But it gives me nightmares as well! I've got a lightning struck Cedar pole about that size I need to take down. It's gonna be a picture story I'm afraid!
It's right next to the burger joint I had lunch at with my idiot neighbor yesterday. The jackass I changed the engine in the Exploder and had to help with the plumbing job. I was telling him about it and how I was dreading it. He pipes off "Well, I can come help, I'll run the saw for you even!" As if I want him dealing with a tree leaning towards a house and propane tank!
Sorry, bad hijack, glad you got to make some chips man!

So we are going back up there next week with one of my big McCullochs to take a slab or 2 out of the stump for tabletops. :)

Gary
Some time ago I flopped the biggest soft maple I ever saw for a buddy of mine .Most was cut for fire wood but I did cut some 4" thick table tops using a Mac 125 with that 48" bar on the Homey in my avatar .

Those flippen things were so heavy( 54 " ) it took four of us to lift it .I gave by bud about a half a gallon of anchor seal to flood the slab with so it wouldn't crack as it dried out .I had seen that big slab after it had been drying for about 3 years and at that time there was nary a crack in it .So it might be something to look into .

Now I wonder what would happen if once it does dry if it could be fed linseed oil like they did the cigar store figurenes of a bygone era .Maybe Jay would know ????

If nothing is done it surely would split although not a bad as oak .Fact is the little carriage barn on the place my mother owns is timber framed from sugar maple and it has held up surprisingly well for being build in 1919 .

Back