Older Samson Ultra-tech

rfwoodvt

TreeHouser
Anyone recall seeing Samson ultra-tech come out with a single color cover, ie no tracers?

Am trying to identify some polyester covered technora and everyone seems to agree on the construction and fibers including yale. But nobody is sure who made it. Casual conversations with Samson say they don't make single cover ultratech and yet the construction of the cover is virtually identical to the construction of the ultra tech.

This rope was made at least 5 years ago, if not 7 or 8.

Any help would be appreciated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
As far as I know samson makes the Ultra Tech. least ways a technora core with tripple carrier polyester cover.

Attachments

• Ultratech.jpg
    Ultratech.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 9
Dunno Tjack. here are pictures of both. they look pretty close especially considering that mine is high res and the other low res. I think we have a winner.

Attachments

• CompareUltraTech.jpg
    CompareUltraTech.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 84
In the 8 years that I've been buying Ultra Tech from Samson for Wesspur, I've never seen it come in a single color like that.

Makes me think this was a custom run...all rope makers do that on occasion.

Could also have been sold as a firefighter's line a the time. As it was it was sold to me as a PER line.

And, it is about 8 years old just been sitting on the dark cool shelf.

The still look like the same construction though.

Waiting on Samson to reply to teh sample I sent.

Would not have been a firefighters line, since it isn't NFPA certified. I agree though - they look pretty similar. Why does it matter who made it though? Knowing the fibers and construction gives you everything you need to know for breaking strength, stretch, and splicing procedure.

without documentation I can't use it in a climbing comp. That is my primary reason for wanting to know.

I would normally agree on the NFPA rating issue but bail out lines were just coming into vogue when I bought this and there were very few, if any, that had gotten the NFPA approvals. They were more in the "test" phase at that time. the more I think about it though , the more I think this rope is probably 10 years old to begin with.

well according to some it should be discarded after three years of shelf life lol

Even if it was a custom run, it'd still have that blended red/green strand that samson would put on. That's not ultratech.

I would do 2 things:

1- start looking for a more widely accepted rope so you don't have surprises at the competition
2- Contact http://www.psrope.com/ It could be one of theirs

If you don't know what it is, don't climb on it.

love
nick

Back