Maple Spar Split (plus a vid)

• Thread starter Gord
  • Start date
  • Replies 20
  • Views 3K
G

Gord

I posted this over at the buzz but thought I'd post it here too.

I was removing this Bigleaf Maple which had a good lean to it (understory to a larger tree that had already been removed). I rigged the limbs and had room to bomb the wood. About 35' above the ground it split just after I finished cutting a chunk (I think it split just after I tossed the piece). It was quick but not violently so, it pulled me up tight to my lanyard and squeezed me a little but I was able to push back enough to loosen the ropegrab. I had noticed it popping and cracking as I worked my way down, but wasn't concerned as it's a common thing for this species.

pZKfM.jpg

Hekdf.jpg

r69Yk.jpg

And another maple on the same property:

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2cmwQ3eurRM?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0&hd=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2cmwQ3eurRM?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0&hd=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

That's a cool picture. I bet it felt wierd to have that thing split open like that. Darin was just talking about knowing anyone that has had a spar split on them while chunking it.

That is enough to startle you a bit. I have had the same thing happen with a Norway Maple, not as bad though, and it certainly made my cheeks pucker a bit. I am glad you are ok.

What kind of helmet cam do you use? The video looks great. :)

Edit: Here is a cell phone pic.

077.JPG

That's just plain nasty to think about, Gord. Seems odd that it split open at that point in the wrecking it out. No split evident in the previous chunk? How long were the pieces you were taking?

It seems strange to me that this happened while you were chunking down the trunk. I would have expected something like this with a heavily leaning top, but not after the top had been removed. Why do you think this happened at the time and place it did?

Nice video. Your groundies do a good job of letting pieces run.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The piece split after I cut off a 4' or so chunk, no force in what I was doing. The spar had no outer evidence of an existing defect. In the pic you've got there FJR it appears that the split is old, no? It is cold weather (for us, -5C at night) here, perhaps the cells shrink and don't adhere to each other as well as the might when it's warmer.

Awesome shots of the wrecking Gord. That wood splitting like that would have made me want some new undies....
Well... At least a couple moments to draw a new breath with ;) Wild shat.

In the pic you've got there FJR it appears that the split is old, no?

Yep. I could tell there was a defect on the trunk, but I had no idea it was a split like that. Right above the split the wood was in great condition. It appears that Bigleaf Maple and Norway Maple have similar characteristics, and I am curious if the tree that you removed would have looked similar to mine if a number of years had gone by.

Not only do we cut firewood rounds, but we split the big stuff in half for you!:lol:

Nother excellent video Gord, good example of properly executed 'balance point rigging' as Daniel calls it. Efficient

From now on, if I hear any popping or cracking, I'll be sure to stop and choke my lanyard.

Nice work, I'll bet your groundy's hands stayed warm!

nasty split Gord, and a great video, I enjoyed that.
Similar splitting, whilst felling sycamore stems (Acer pseudoplatanus) has caused me to run several times from the stump due to the noise. They often split as they start to commit, possibly due to the tensions in the stem being released. The occurrence seems to be increased in very cold or drought conditions. The plane of the split is often parallel with the hinge of the topping cut, irrespective of the direction of fell. It has never occoured to me within a tree to that extent tough

Last edited:
Based on this, I'd say Big leaf maples might be a good species to make split rail fencing from.

Sean,

That avatar picture is interesting...is that spindly whippet thing you are in a spar??? I think I see a lifeline going up behind you....is there a lanyard involved or just your gorilla grip in your left hand?

Yeah, Gord really isn't that good, the ground crew just makes him look that way :lol:

I like how the groundie was right there to grab Gord's saw when he reached terra firma. That shows paying attention and a good attitude. It's a beautiful thang. :headbang:

Back