12,000 pound limb removed from a house.

• Thread starter bill22
  • Start date
  • Replies 74
  • Views 8K
B

bill22

Hey guys,i shot this video back in august for a guy i was working for.I know skwerl is going to ask,it happened in Narcoossee off Kirby smith rd.The limb fell during a bad storm at 10 that morning.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PKi_v0ooU2s?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PKi_v0ooU2s?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

It was 12k before i removed all the weight,the log that was lifted was 10k and some change by the crane's onboard scale.

Balanced it nicely! Good job.

thanks,it was kinda tricky,we weren't sure what would happen when we picked it up,we were expecting the rest of the Florida room to fall over.

That was a good pick. Too bad the damage was already done. for what the structure was worth you could have saved the crane costs and bucked the dang thing into firewood and come out ahead. Still a nice pick though.

Thanks Jerry,Jon quoted a price for removal and a price for a badly needed crown reduction,but the homeowners decided to leave it go,that tree could fail at any time.I didn't video all the rot,right in the crotch union that goes through the trunk to the other side.I figured with a 70t crane it would take me about 8 hours of climbing,again the disadvantage of the video was i didn't show the whole picture.BTW in Florida its quite common for people to ignore pro advice and let the tree fail,they figure insurance will pay out but that's supposed to be changing.

I recently had a customer decide not to remove a tree that was partially uprooted and hung up in another tree. When it finally fell in a storm this winter, the insurance co denied the claim because they knew that I had recommended removal. Apparently my customer called the ins co to see if they would pay. They said no, but kept a record of the request in case of a future claim. Had my customer never called the ins co to begin with, they would probably have paid the claim. But I hear that laws vary from state to state.

VERY cool tool...I guessed from what I remembered of the video...live oak, 2" small end, 16" big end, 20 feet long...came up with 1242 pounds. Maybe the thread description is a typo?

Even if I go with a 30" diameter and 30 feet long it is 6455 lbs. What were the actual dimensions?

OK...I went to the vid again...tried 12" small to 24" large end, 30 feet...got 5169 lbs.

Well for what it's worth ,this is what a tad over 12,000 pound of red oak looks like . A tad over 4 feet fat end, 3 1/2 skinny end 16 feet long

Attachments

• Red Oak 108.jpg
    Red Oak 108.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 202
The one down the road looks like the one Al just posted. It's down right now too.

The few times I've had a crane involved the operator grossly overestimated the weights, better than underestimating I guess.

VERY cool tool...I guessed from what I remembered of the video...live oak, 2" small end, 16" big end, 20 feet long...came up with 1242 pounds. Maybe the thread description is a typo?

Even if I go with a 30" diameter and 30 feet long it is 6455 lbs. What were the actual dimensions?

OK...I went to the vid again...tried 12" small to 24" large end, 30 feet...got 5169 lbs.

Again,the weight is going by the crane's on board scale,but for arguments sake,the log as i cut brush off it was literally squirting m as i cut into it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This was about a 1000# canyon oak nuggy.... That is an 066 wiht a 28 bar. The chunk was a little longer than 4 foot.
It did not squirt me though. Maybe I should have tickled it a little more..... :/:

Howerton 9.22.09.JPG Howertom 9.23.09 (3).JPG

Canyon live oak is some dense shat! Heavier than our interior live oak. Really heavy this year with all the water we have been getting.

Yeah live oak is really heavy,the dimensions of the pick off the house were,32"diameter,30'long.

That one was probably under 100 years... More to the tune of about 65-75. Medium growth rate I believe.

Quercus chrysolepis, Same species we climbed and they get centuries old. That is the larger of the two codoms.
This is the stump. Same saw I mentioned for size reference.

Attachments

• Howertom 9.23.09 (5).JPG
    Howertom 9.23.09 (5).JPG
    208.6 KB · Views: 6
Live oaks are an interesting species .As much different from our northern reds,whites and burrs as day and night .The few live oaks I've seen grew up maybe 15-20 feet then popped out limbs that went every which way .The danged things could cover an entire small residentual building lot it seemed with the canopy . How in the world they ever found a long enough piece of straight log to ever saw them for ships planking remains a great mystery .

The canyon live oaks here were prized for that very reason Al. Long straight branches and trunks.
Couple of the limbs on this ol man are as big as trees. Can you say 60 foot limb walk?? :lol:

It is also why here are so few of the big ones left ;)

Attachments

• P1010122.JPG
    P1010122.JPG
    208.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Rec climb 089.jpg
    Rec climb 089.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
Back