would you buy this gun??

PCTREE

Treehouser
OK so I am totally naive with regards to guns but have decided that it might be prudent to become proficient with them. Figure its best to have them and not need them... Anyways buddy of mine wants to sell this Norinco 1911, 45 auto.

So what do you think you would pay for it (he says he doesn't know what its worth) and would you buy it???

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 66
Never heard of norinco but any gun that works is worth a few pennies .

I like my .45 Glock but it's got a hell of a kick. It also has a lot of stopping power. I don't ever want to shoot somebody but if I do, I'd prefer they go down right now rather than continue advancing toward me.
Brett and Jason are two of our resident gun nuts so hopefully one of them will chime in.

I've handled and shot Norinco rifles, AK-47 knock-offs... didn't lik'em much, felt cheap, sorta rickedy... but AKs are like that.

It is what it is, a 1911 knock-off. Personally, I'd rather spend more money on a better make... Kimber is usually a good choice.

If you're coming down this month for the Geezer's climb then you're welcome to take mine to the gun range up the street for some practice and comparison. It's a Glock model 36

These were imported from China from 1991 to 1995; the last retail price was $320. Current values range from $100 to $400 depending upon condition. They seem to have mixed reviews, but if you could get it for around $200 to $250 it might be worth a try.
I don't have any personal experience with the Norinco handguns, but I did buy a shotgun once that was a totally cheap piece of garbage. On the other hand, I love my Chinese SKS.

I'd rather have something I KNOW will go off when I need it to; I'm leery of imported Chinese garbage.

Glock 29 here; 10mm auto. Little more kick than the 36.

Ditto what Skwerl said... shooting twice is just plain silly.

The Chinese have an unusual gun culture. One of the largest manufacturers of guns in the world, but strong penalties prevents citizens from owning guns in the main. There is a lot of illegal gun trafficking going on, and crimes using guns are increasing, so the general public has a growing interest in owning guns. The better guns are still smuggled in, so Chinese made will probably improve in the future.

Hunting is allowable to some degree, participation in competition shooting clubs, that kind of thing. If you shoot a Panda, they take your gun away, and possibly your life too.

My brother picked up a Taurus 1911 .45 last summer, it's a very nice firearm. The model 1911 is beautiful but normally it's fairly expensive. I believe this one cost about $700. I have never heard of the brand mentioned in the first post so I don't think I would pay much for it...

A .45 is certainly a good option though, plenty of stopping power :-)

OK so I am totally naive with regards to guns but have decided that it might be prudent to become proficient with them.

So what do you think. would you buy it???

Just being brutally honest with my completely subjective opinion.... If you are not already an avid shooter, the 1911 would not be a platform I would recommend, unless you are committed to significant practice. Gun safety aside. there are many more user friendly guns to be had for a novice. I'd soot it a bunch to see if you like it and see if it is reliable. Borrow or rent a Glock and see what you think of it.

I have five 1911's and love them. I have a couple of glocks too and like 'em a lot.

For a strictly home defense/personal protection handgun for non-gun-guys I usually reccommend a revolver.

If the price is right and it shoots, get it then get a quality 1911 and see if you still want to keep it. Could be the begining of a great collection.;)

Steer clear Paul. If you're gonna go with the 1911 platform, that ain't the 1911 to get.
:thumbup: +1

Paul, you gonna get a CC permit? I would spend more for better quality. I have a Kahr PM45 and a P380. Both awesome and reliable. I also have a EEA 9mm, cheaper, but just as reliable and cheaper to shoot. 45 is more expensive......cant really debate stopping power, but SHOT PLACEMENT is key

nothing beats a shotgun for home defense though.....check out the Taurus Judge, shoots 410 buckshot and 45 long colt. maybe the medium between shotgun and revolver.

Carl prolly has great advice too

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I already got a shorty shotgun for the house. I picked up a Savage 110 in 270 W for hunting if that becomes necessary and soon realized if I am to shoot a lot for target practice I need to get a 22 for practice, looking at ,maybe a Savage Mark II TR. My buddy with the 1911 also let me use a Ruger Mark 2 22LR pistol which I think Ill keep for practice. Leaning towards a Steyr M9-A1 maybe.

I can see how this hobby can be adictive.....

Addictive and expensive mate! I have a XDm .45 and a Glock 19 9mm..........both are simple, reliable and excellent firearms. I had a Para P14 1911, but couldn't get on with it, so I sold it and bought the XDm.

I have a Norinco .22 bolt-action that I've had for years. It's fine for what it is. I've never seen their version of a 1911 until your pics, but one thing I don't like about it (irrelevant though it may be) is the way the mag fits at the bottom of the grip. It screams "CHEAP!" I keep a foreign-made .45 (Hungary, I think) in my work truck. It's sort oif a cross between a 1911 and a Browning Hi-Power. Not much to look at, but I have absolutely no money invested in it, hence, it rides in the work truck.

For home defense, I prefer my Glocks. I have a 23 with a Veridian green laser on the rail and a 22 with a Crimson Trace laser grip. Both are great for home defense, both are .40's. The 22 is too big for general carry, but 15 rounds of .40 are nice to have. I have three .45's, but I prefer .40 to them for capacity. Recoil doesn't bother me that much (except Carl's nuclear pocket cannon!). I guess I just like Glocks, as their design is simple, safe and reliable. As far as home defense, I much prefer the Glock safe-action to a single-action auto. The slightest stimulus, and you've pulled that hair trigger. With the Glock (or a double-action auto/revolver) you have to deliberately pull the trigger.

A friend of mine has an Springfield XD9 and another friend has a S&W M&P .45. Both are similar to the Glock's action, and from my experience with them, either is reliable as well. I wants a Sig 229......

I agree with Jesse...unless you are going to practice a lot with the 1911 platform find a more user friendly system. I have a Sig P220 in .45 that is simple and reliable. First round is double action, rest are single action. The 1911 is carried "cocked and locked" which can be hard to wrap your brain around.

I can also tell you that I have a Browning BAR in .22...a small semi-auto stock fed rifle, breaks down into 2 parts, got it back in the 70's. It has held up well. My father bought the Norinco (Chinese) version of the rifle a few years after I got mine...looked pretty good and was fine at first. After a few years some of the cast metal in the stock (magazine tube part, I think) cracked and had to be replaced. The .45 ACP round is going to put a fair amount of recoil on the weapon...I am not convinced that the quality is there to take long term use.

No I would not buy that gun.

Pete, I've been shooting for many years. Was on the regiment rifle team in the military as well as a small arms coach, I shot P.P.C. (Police Pistol Combat) for a number of years, am BlackBadge qualified (international rateing), have bought & sold well over 400 guns back in the day and now coach a youth air rifle at my club.

Now Im not the an expert by any means but I do think I can offer you a suggeastion or two that could help.

As far as auto loading handguns go...forget about them for a while unles you plan on shooting over 1000 rounds a year! Reason is, to be good, one MUST practice!

Stay away from the low end Asian crap thats floding the market, low quality = poor performance.

If a handgun is what you want, stick with a revolver made by a time proven manufacture such as Rugar or S&W. Rugars are a working mans gun and the company has wonderful customer care & are a joy to work with. S&W makes quality products but also have to many to choose from, some stand out better than others but the guns are easier to work on & "time" over Colt for example, but that a different story.

Very Important: The handgun MUST fit your hand!!! For you to have any hope of hitting your target, it must be like an extention of your hand. Takes lots of time & practice!!!

For home defence, go with an uncomplicated shot gun such a basic Mossberg 500. Ya cant get much simpler than that with the safety on the top!
Load it with BuckShot, point & shoot, you'll have better control with a shotgun over a pistol!!!

K.I.S.S. is the golden rule here, anything short of that then your asking for trouble when it comes to protecting you & yours IMHO.

Question you must first ask yourself is: Do I want a fancy gun to feel cool OR do I want a dependable gun that I feel comfortable with under a high stress situation?

Try this: With your back faceing away from 3 targets positioned at 5, 10 & 15yards down range, and with a pistol in your hand, turn and fire one shot at each. Do this quickly to assume it is someone shooting back at you! Each miss represents another round being fired back at you!

Now do the same exercise with your shotgun thats loaded with BuckShot.

...I rest my case!

Bob

Try this: With your back faceing away from 3 targets positioned at 5, 10 & 15yards down range, and with a pistol in your hand, turn and fire one shot at each. Do this quickly to assume it is someone shooting back at you!

We had a name for that but I can't say it in a public forum. :/:

we have a nice indoor range here...3bucks for a 1/2hour....no quick draw allowed though. They do have a "practical shooting" league on mondays

1911's look cool, but carry locked and cocked is a little to weird for me.

Back