What is your favorite hunting rifle any why!!!

1savagehunter

Treehouser
Well thought we needed to start a new thread ... I'm rather new here so maybe this one has been been done before.

For me it's a toss up
Tikka T3 7mm mag. or my Tikka whitetail hunter 338 mag.
let's say if I had to pick one the 338 would be my choice but I love them both. :P

Hmm. The Mark X Mauser 30/o6 that I bought as a teen has served me well and is up to any task. Reality makes a .22lr the overall most useful hunting rifle of all. A Cz 452 is wonderfully accurate and precise. a Ruger 10/22 is precise enough and a joy to plink with.I primarily bowhunt now but I am going on a deer management hunt in Jan where the object is to eliminate a bunch of does and "poor quality" bucks where they are overpopulating the habitat.The 06 is going for my uncle to use. I'm taking a Vepr .308. It needs to be blooded and should serve nicely for the merciful slaughter.

My favorite is my Marlin 336C 30-30. It is a very very common rifle, but mine is special to me because my dad gave it to me about 2 years before I started deer hunting. I have never hunted with anything else and I have shot many deer with it. My guess is that I will never deer hunt with any other gun just because of the memories I have with it.

Hmm. The Mark X Mauser 30/o6 that I bought as a teen has served me well and is up to any task. Reality makes a .22lr the overall most useful hunting rifle of all. A Cz 452 is wonderfully accurate and precise. a Ruger 10/22 is precise enough and a joy to plink with.I primarily bowhunt now but I am going on a deer management hunt in Jan where the object is to eliminate a bunch of does and "poor quality" bucks where they are overpopulating the habitat.The 06 is going for my uncle to use. I'm taking a Vepr .308. It needs to be blooded and should serve nicely for the merciful slaughter.

Blooded eh? guess I'm not enough of a larger game guy to have heard that one.

Model 61 Winchester pump 22 is by far the gun i have had the most fun with, want to get a 10/22 too and trick it out soon.

My 2 favorite rounds are the .270 Winchester, and the .300 Winchester Magnum. The smoothest rifle I have is an old 1963 Husqvarna rifle with a Mauser action. It's the one chambered in .270 and it is a tack driver. :)

Gary

I love my Ruger M77 in 7 MM Mag. I'm not the kinda guy that babies his guns, that rifle rides in my truck from August till December every year and still shoots straight. A little rust here and there on the barrel but that doesn't bother me. I mostly bow hunt these days also but you never know when a cougar or bear will show up

wife just got me a savage 7 mm
model 111 i believe
had a remington 30-06 that was sweet, did me well over the years...sold it to a pal who loved it more than me
but i sure would like it back
marlin 22, was nice, sent it off with an old girlfriend and her new hubby, they were living in a yert in arizona, and there was quite the coyote population around there
i wish i could use my 223, but assault style weapons arent appreciated much by dfg
and i think theyd try to take it from me....key word...try

whatever you choose..30-06, 30-30, 308, 7mm or whatever
make sure it is an extension of your body, fits your frame
and then enjoy it

.50 cal, hands down.

I'm too fat and lazy to track game; with the .50 it's killed, skinned, boned, butchered and cooked on-the-spot in one fell swoop.

Depends on the game and lay of the land .58 cal Zuave for muzzle loader .Winchester M1894 30:30 for brush . US M1917 Eddeystone 30:06 open country ,longer shot .

Good old husky 30 06 it was my dads that he got 30 years ago that he got as a wedding. Gift from his brother in law

This thread is a tough one. Currently, my favorite is the Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker in .270 Win that I bought a couple of weeks ago. Prior to that was my Ruger All-Weather 77, also in .270 Win. Prior to that was Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08....started with a blued model, then ordered a stainless to match it. Prior to that was a Remington 700 ADL synthetic in .30-06. I just enjoy the quest for the perfect deer rifle.......I've killed deer with .223, .243, 7mm-08, .270, .280, .30-30, and .30-06. Outside the .223, they are all fine deer cartridges in my opinion, though the .243 is a little on the light side. I never intend to shoot another deer with a .223.

My old Stevens Buckhorn .22. It was my Dads gun and it was my first gun. Nice smooth trigger let off. Got a few other .22s but none shoot as good. The tube feed is worn out and jams, so it is a single shot at the moment. I think I could build up the worn part and make it work again.

Brno ZKK-601 .308Win Its on its second Barrel.
Rugar Mini 14 with Suppresor.Its handy enough and with the Can I can use it on farms where the noise of a .223 would otherwise upset Farm Stock.

what sort of hoops do you have to jump through in order to have a suppressed rifle in Norway?

Taxation and regulation of suppressors is one of the more stupid of many stupid firearms restrictions in the U.S.

Brno Mod 4-A was my fav .22cal. I'm a huge fan of Savage bolt actions for an all round solid out of the box dependable rifle. 98 mouzer actions of any calibur because of the feed claw...holds the round firmly on the bolt face going in and going out of the breach eliminating any jams! A modern viersion on this can be found in the Winchester mod#70 delux rifle line that originated from the pre '64 mod#70 rifles that had the same feature.

Fav caliburs: .22 cb shorts, 243, 300 win mag, 308, 44, 7mm, & 50cal for black powder. I love bolt action rifles!

Like many, it's hard to say, but right now it would have to be my Savage 110 in 7 mag.
It is a plain jane walnut stocked hunter that I'm not afraid to treat like a hunting rifle. Like Willie's it has surface rust here and there that I try to stay on top of. I've shot squirrels, coyotes, deer and most recently a bear. As a pure hunting rifle, I like it best. I have a couple of others on the Remington 700 platform 243 and 308, that are real shooters but I don't really shoot much with them besides steel, paper and the occasional varmint.

For me hands down it's a sks $ 6.00 for a box of 20 shells. It is such a joy to shot 100 to 200 rounds at targets and shared them into pieces. But for hunting its a rem 700 in 30-06 with a nikon pro-staff 3-9 x 40. With my 700 i'm can shot out of 400 yard. I know the gun can do better then i can. Seth likes my Russi m59 .22 magmun

Forgot to mention earlier... One of my earlier gun for small game was a Cooey Mod. #60 (thing it was a #60). I bought ir from a older family member who never took care of it. I cleaned it up the best I could & because it was to short for me, I taped a recoil pad on the butt to lengthen it. It had a cracked from the butt to almost the reciever so that roll of greem duct tape was used generously.

That gun was the very ugly to look at but I gotta tell ya, I've taken more rabbits & Birds (grouse) etc than any other gun in my extencive collection. Bet I've put well over 5000 rounds through that gun if not more.

Come to think of it, I only paid $20 bucks for it.

Its found a new home with my good friends son who I gave it to. He's getting as much use & fun out of it as I did!!!

Back