Final ground level cut on stump video?

Underwor

Treehouser
Has anyone made or seen a good video on making the final cut on a takedown stump. A nice level finish close to the ground. I need one for a training deal and if I can bum one without having to make it myself, I would prefer it. If not, I will make one and post it here someday. I just hate digging out a stump from the snow, just to make a cut. I know, I am getting lazy!!!!

Today's stump would have been perfect, if Todd had filmed it. He had his video recorder on the job and even took some video of me earlier in the day.
Sorry Bob. If only I had known a day earlier. :(

... no video help here , just confirming the fact that a sweet flush cut at the end of the job leaves a sign that a Pro was there...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Today's stump would have been perfect, if Todd had filmed it. He had his video recorder on the job and even took some video of me earlier in the day.
Sorry Bob. If only I had known a day earlier. :(

Story of my life, day late and dollar short. I have a worker who seems to have a dull saw on every job, even with only one cut on the chain. Even though I take the "dull" saw and cut off another big slab or stump and it goes straight, it just doesn't soak in that is more technique than muscle. Hoping that a video of an "expert" for a training session for the "whole crew" will have more credibility than an old fart that is set in his ways.

"... no video help here , just confirming the fact that a sweet flush cut at the end of the job leaves a sign that a Pro was there..."

Right Altissimus, this is the impression I would like the crew to leave at every job, even if we are just the city forestry crew.

Thanks. Bob

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Most any of the common formats is fine. I have real player, quicktime and the micorsoft player all on the computer. Thanks a lot Gerry

I just edited one from a job a couple weeks back, and was planning on posting it on youtube shortly...

I hate flush cutting stumps and then having to handle the rounds.. will avoid it when possible..

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0xEbjtEO2yU?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0xEbjtEO2yU?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Bob, one thing I was taught early on when flushing off a stump is to always start your cut on the high side. Otherwise you invariably end up getting halfway around and hitting the dirt. We are more likely to err by angling the cut down than up so starting on the high side helps keep us out of trouble.

I'm not understanding why one wouldn't just cut a deeper face and wedge it over? A pull rope would help...but you're really pushing SWL on that rope. You've heard of a humboldt, right? Use a humboldt on that cut and you'd have even less wood to worry about for the stumper.

I don't think that was even remotely what Bob was looking for. And what if the stump isn't going to be ground out...if the client wants it cut ALAP which is a really common occurence out here.

Just old Murph' again. Doing things the difficult way, just to be different!

Oh, I know I'm repeating myself here, but the facecut on that tree looked really bad!

Just old Murph' again. Doing things the difficult way, just to be different!

Oh, I know I'm repeating myself here, but the facecut on that tree looked really bad!

Agreed. He has not worked out that when using a mismatched cut that the greater the distance between cuts, the more force required to break the fibres. That stump looked like a dogs dinner.

I like to put a level on my bar when starting the final cut, so as to leave a useful place to put something when the job is done. I often see folks put a potted plant or garden hose on the stump after the job is finished, which they couldn't do if the final cut wasn't level. It's one of those silly details that make my logger friends laugh at me, but is usually the clincher for several referrals later on.

Sean, the reason your logger friends laugh is that any logger worth his salt has a buildt in level, when using a saw;)

I'm often asked to leave a level stump around houses here,too.

Another video I don't understand. Perhaps if it was dubbed over into Greek and subtitled in Swahili I'd get more out of it.

Hey Murph - why did you set a line to pull that tree over? Was there back lean and I just couldn't see it? If it was fairly upright, why not just use wedges and/or undercut the center of gravity? It just seemed like there was a tremendous amount of tension on the line, which if it had broken, could have created some pretty bad problems that wouldn't have been a risk otherwise.

Darin, Try ingesting psilocybe mushrooms, that'll furthur your understanding.

Sean, the reason your logger friends laugh is that any logger worth his salt has a buildt in level, when using a saw;)

I'm often asked to leave a level stump around houses here,too.

HA! Yep, that sounds about right. Of course I often do it without a level, but when I just eyeball it, it's never quite perfect. Alas, I'm still trying to earn my salt.

Try ingesting psilocybe mushrooms, that'll furthur your understanding.

I don't think that will help with understanding but it will make you laugh even longer and harder.

OK, I watched the video.

I would have NEVER thrown that log towards that walkway. There was plenty of room to do anything but that.

You should have stayed in your bucket longer and pieced it down more.

And your "backcut" goes beyond my comprehension.

One man's all that was necessary to pull that over. "Don't break the rope?" Come on now... are you serious?

I can't wait to see your next video.

In the pic, the lady wanted a flat stump to put a planter on. It was a 10' snag, no rope.

Attachments

• snail 047.jpg
    snail 047.jpg
    705.9 KB · Views: 7
I like to put a level on my bar when starting the final cut, so as to leave a useful place to put something when the job is done. I often see folks put a potted plant or garden hose on the stump after the job is finished, which they couldn't do if the final cut wasn't level. It's one of those silly details that make my logger friends laugh at me, but is usually the clincher for several referrals later on.

Sean... even a knuckledragger like me has used a level to make a nice flush stump for people... I usually have to put the half wrap back on my 044 before I do it though. To make the cut ALAP. It's the only reason I kept the half wrap after putting on a 3/4 wrap. :)

And your "backcut" goes beyond my comprehension.

That kind of stuff is the reason I won't watch any of his f'd up "techniques"... I have only watched one of his vids all the way through...

Gary

I like to put a level on my bar when starting the final cut, so as to leave a useful place to put something when the job is done.
I know a guy that does that.

I often see folks put a potted plant or garden hose on the stump after the job is finished, ...
A customer paid me $75 to do this last Summer...

StumpPlanter-1.jpg

StumpPlanter-2.jpg

I need to shoot another pic, it looks nice now that it's planted.

Seems to me the face could have been made about two inches lower then the backcut made even with the bottom of the face. and saved a bunch of work.
If you can't, then cut it off higher and make an ALAP cut to finish it off.
I've got to get my back fixed and get out and make some videos out in the woods so I can show what a "tight drop zone" really is, and how to get an ALAP on one cut.
Maybe Stig can get one up in the mean time to show how it's done right, then I can show my mediocre technique's afterwards.
Dan, that was trying to use WAY too many advanced technique's in one stump, without understanding the physics of any of them well. That spar should have gone with the slightest of pressure on the rope, no brute force needed. I can't even imagine the force you had on the low end of that spar, maybe Carl will figure it up and let us know for SAGS, but it was too much!

Back