Small diameter line for splicing?

NorthWoodsDiver

TreeHouser
I am looking for a smaller line to use as a lanyard adjusting prusik. Right now I have some 8mm Beeline with grizzly splices from Sherrill and it seems big and cumbersome for what it does. I would like something I can hand splice but less than 8mm like maybe 6mm. I know I would give up a fair bit of strength but...

I'm not a working climber, if the knot failed the whole lanyard would not slip through my minding pulley cause it's spliced on the other end with a clip (though I would fall a bit).

It wouldn't have to be heat resistant cause it's just going on my lanyard.

I actually was looking at Amsteel Blue cause it's easy to splice and very strong in small diameters but I'm not sure how it would work as a prusik cause I have never used it in person. I also looked at tennex for it's ease in splicing and I have one already but I don't see anything tennex smaller than 8mm.

How about New England Sta-Set? It is a double braid polyester with almost no stretch. It holds its shape very well under multiple load cycles and wears well with excellent flexibility. You can burn it on a high speed descent if you're hot dogging but I've used it as my friction hitch cord for over a decade and have no reason to try anything else.

Double braid is easy to splice, although I use double fisherman's knots for my friction hitches. The splices will make the rope fatter in the working part of the hitch and affect how it works.

I also use it as my winch line on my material handler on the bucket boom. The link above is the cheapest source I've ever found and I've always had great service from them.

Keep amsteel (dyneema/spectra) off the saddle. It has very low heat resistance. It would be "fine" on a saddle, but you'd be way better off with a 3/8" Yalex rope for about 25% of the cost and higher heat resistance, too.

The single braid (Yalex, Tenex) is a good place to start for a beginning splicer.

love
nick

Back