shoulder cuts

murphy4trees

TreeHouser
Here is a video of the rigging work on the bigger of the two tulips that were features on the mini notch thread. Unfortunately its difficult to see what is going on in the video because of camera angles and other trees etc.. the two trees were inside a fairly tight "V", of the service lines coming off one pole to two houses. It was a tight spot for doing such big limbs, which kept the ground crew pretty busy, so these are the only cuts I have video of.

The tree in the foreground was about 85-90' standing. The top had been cut to about 60' and a block installed. It looks like there is a limb up there, but that is from another tree.

Of particular note on this video is the use of shoulder cuts on all but one of the big limbs. They worked very well here. at 1:15 you can see a large limb getting cranked up and over a nearby maple. The cut was made and piece had been cranked up with the GRCS a good ways, before filming started, so you can't see just how far that pice moved, only the last bit of it. That piece got lifted up a good ways, and moved sideways at least 90º before it let go and swung into the rigging.

My favorite cut is at 2:00.. straightforward big limb, but the rip cut allowed it to move so slow and sweet and then tear off with no shock load. NO GRCS on that one.. just a porty w/ wraps.

At 2:20 there is a hung up limb. The tips caught in an adjacent tree. That was my mistake in that I used a redirect (satalite rigging point) so I wouldn't have to chase the lowering line for the next cut. That wouldn't have mattered if the ground crew had taken my suggestion and moved the GRCS into the bigger tree.

So at 2:30 I tried to use the rest of the end of that lead to drive the hung limb free, but there was little hope of that working. So I had to drop down and go cut the hung limb free. It was just under 2 minutes, real time, from the time the cut was made til my hooks were back on the trunk. That was a fun walk and swing.

It is my sincere hope that Stig, after seeing all the work involved in getting these trees prepped for falling, will have a little more understanding of why "wasting" 20 seconds on cleaning up the notch, and 8 seconds on checking the bar tip during the plunge, is not a big deal to me.

You guys gave the mini notch thread a good ride in a hurry.. So here's more fodder for ya! ENJOY

5 minutes:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p0GjgMZwd10?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p0GjgMZwd10?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
There is no undercut or face made Butch.. its one cut, very close to the trunk, well into the co-joined fibers between limb and trunk.. sometimes made from top straight down on bombing cuts.. often made from the side on rigging cuts to allow the piece to swing sideways into the rigging.

I do some arborist work in the summer, when logging is dead.
So I know what you means about the time factor, but it still made my eyes hurt to see you futzing around with that facecut in the spar.;)

Daniel, posting stuff is great. I just wonder what's the point of the last two videos? This one is supposed to demonstrate the most basic cut that every guy who doesn't know how to use a face cut uses a hundred times a day? There's also a lengthy bit of you getting one piece stuck, sending another piece to dislodge it, unsuccessfully and then using up all sorts of energy to go cut it out of e neighboring tree, something using a GRCS would have avoided. I am just not clear why you're posting this stuff. Not every minute of tree work that gets filmed is brilliant or worthwhile sharing material. I think your Nielson ratings are going to suffer.

So whats so special to put a video up of such a straight forward job?

I was actually anxious to see what this new-fangled shoulder cut was all about. Oh well, at least the price was right.

Back