more mini notches

murphy4trees

TreeHouser
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_RqnuISv7kc?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_RqnuISv7kc?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

6 minutes .. 2 tulip spars, lots of fun

My opinion?

1. Doesn't need it's own thread

2. I can't believe how long it takes you to fall those 15-20' spars

3. Why are you pounding on wedges when you have a rope in a 20' spar?

4. Your point about hinges is whacked out. All your little hinge did was accomplish the same thing as a proper hinge because you're only cutting a short straight 20'spar.

5. One man on the pull line and you had to wedge that thing over. A deeper hinge would have required alot less effort to set that spar into action.

6. I can't believe you talk about quick and easy when you're demonstrating slow and hard.

7. You state at the beginning that the point of the vid is to demonstrate how to 'manage the movement of the tree after it hits the ground'. Are you serious man? It looks damn near flat. Controlling wood on slopes is wayyyy different then what you're demonstrating.

9. But then your vid seems to become more about talking about the awesomeness of the super shallow hinge which imo saved you no time when you consider the extra pulling and wedges that you had to use.

10. If the spars were as straight as those looked they probably could've been leaned on with a proper depth hinge and went over without a wedge or a rope.

This is why I rarely watch your vids. What is the point of this?

squisher said:
10. If the spars were as straight as those looked they probably could've been leaned on with a proper depth hinge and went over without a wedge or a rope.

+1

I find that whether pulling by hand, mini-skid, pick-up, bucket, or a full-sized skidder or cat that it takes me little to no extra time to do a proper sized hinge. Just because you can overcome more 'resistance' to a spar or tree committing to the lay by using something like a skid steer to pull with, doesn't nescessarily mean that you should.

Imo a mini-notch would make it easier to line up your cuts if you have trouble with that sort of thing. And boring something that doesn't need to be will probably also help if you have trouble lining up the levelness and height of your backcut, or problems with saws not cutting straight. I only bore if it's nescessary.

On a spar that size I woulda cut a proper sized notch, gutted the hinge and over they'd go with very little persuasion.

that was special effects willie for our viewing pleasure

Why check the gun at :50? As soon as you start the cut when cutting the diagonal top cut first, you are committed, no aiming adjustability in the cut.

Yeah, I'm not getting it either. I'd be cranky boss if my guys spent so much time noodling around with a couple of easy fellers like that.

Danny, you said it was an open face notch! No it wasn't.

It's funny I don't even know what the guy looks like.

Ok I googled his image. He's not bad looking but not nearly as handsome as me!

Back