PAW PAW trees?

OTGBOSTON

punk in drublic
anyone have any experience with these? A friend asked me if I could get him one and I've never even heard of them around here. I checked on Wiki and found that the USDA doesn't have them growing in Mass but does have them up into new york state and pennsylvania.

We have'em here, host species for Zebra Swallowtails if I remember right. Not very big.

There are a lot of them in southern Illinois, they tend to be a understory tree that doesn't get very big. Big leaves with a nice size fruit.

We have a good amount of them here, the fruit that they produce is pretty tasty. I would say that they only get around 10 feet tall. If you were closer i have a good customer of mine that has a whole back yard full of them and i could dig you up some.

They have a very nice flower too. Also make great whistles in the spring as the bark slips very easy. Saw a lot around Carbondale, IL while I was in school.

Attachments

• astr1766.jpg
    astr1766.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 61
I have never seen one in this portion of the state .However in Knox county where a lot of my family lives they do exist .I imagine with the differences in soil,substrata and terrain probabley is more conducive for growing conditions there rather than here .

From what I gather they are kind of like a quaking aspen in that they propigate from the roots,a colony type thing .As such they need another source for pollination to produce fruit because the colony is basically a clone of the original tree .

they have a fruit don't they? or is that the wrong tree?

They have a very nice flower too. Also make great whistles in the spring as the bark slips very easy. Saw a lot around Carbondale, IL while I was in school.

That's not paw paw, Papaya....

Unless we are into the typical mix up of common names...over here, paw paw is a tropical/subtropical plant that sets large fruit, used both green and ripe in many dishes. Ripe they are many shades of yellow to deep orange, depending on the variety, delicious served chiled with brown sugar and lemon juice! The extract of green papaya is a meat tenderizer, comonly sold under the name 'Adolph's' meat tenderizer.
Large deeply lobed mid green leaf, straight stem mostly herbaceous, very little secondary thickening, male and female trees with the male flowers being held on very long stalks.

the Pawpaw, Asimina triloba. The name of this plant is sometimes spelled Papaw - and in that form is often confused with another fruit that sometimes goes by that name, the Papaya, Carica papaya. (The latter is in a totally different family than our Pawpaw, and can only grow in tropical areas.) [http://www.fred.net/kathy/pawpaws.html\

Back