Aramide U.V damage

• Thread starter startersplice
  • Start date
  • Replies 9
  • Views 3K
S

startersplice

Hi,

I know that aramide suffers from U.V. damage but can anyone tell me how bad it really is?
i.e. X % over a time period?

The reason is i have 100m of 5.5mm aramide 2000kg MBS and i want to replace my standing rigging on my sailing boat (replace wires that hold the mast up).

Thinking locked brummel with a 50x diameter bury??

I know dyneema would be better but i allready have the aramide

Cheers

Welcome to the TreeHouse, Startersplice! Gotta first name? Mine's Butch.

I can't answer your question, but someone here will. Just hang loose.

And again, welcome! :beer:

Yea I'm thinking not so good for standing rigging. I thought that was usually supposed to be steel.?

I don't the stats you are looking for even exist. UV degradation varies a lot depending on how sunny it is, which changes from place to place and from week to week. If anybody had ever collected the data, the stats would only apply to another person living in the area the tests were conducted in.

I see race boats down in the marina with technora all the time. Some regular sailboats have it too. My take is that it is lighter, but doesn't last as long as steel and does the job just as well (as long as you can compensate for creep some how)

It will hold until it doesn't!

If you already have the line and it's suited for the expected loads: go for it!

love
nick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
aramide standing rigging

Hi All,

Thanks for the replys

Nick: It's bare aramide, 12strand hollow braid.

The reason i posted here is that you guys splice a lot of friction hitch cordage with hi-tech cores.
From what i can see these cores are exposed and wondered on your thoughts of UV damage??

Should i just go old school and stick with wire, or explore HMPE rope and splicing?

Bearing in mind that my life and others could be at risk if i mess up

I live in Not so sunny Wales UK

Cheers all

:D

To be perfectly honest, I don't think anyone here knows enough about sailing to be of help. Many of us use bare aramids as hitch cords, but we retire them because of chafe looooooooong before UV damage would ever be an issue.

I know that here is Southern CA, a lot of people will use it on their boats, but I don't know how often they are leaving it up.

Are there other boaters in your area you can talk to? And have you checked the forum at www.briontoss.com?

love
nick