Spruce Removal

• Thread starter TreeDimensional
  • Start date
  • Replies 33
  • Views 4K
T

TreeDimensional

Thought I would post this for giggles! Cary seems to believe the notch is too big!

This is a frozen spruce right beside a house. It had a slight phototrophic lean over the house (tree growing on the North side of house and grows south above the roofline), and a couple wiggles in the trunk 12-15 ft below the top.

One of the others topics of discussion would be, should it have been rigged? I know why I did it the way I did, I suspect others would have done something else. The wall Marlene stepped over is about 24" tall, made of brick and falling apart.

Sorry in advance for the quick head movements, I get paid to work, not video.

Is the notch too big? Would you have rigged it, and why?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Brian, the link worked for me but it's my account. Weird how that works some times.

Ok Butch, but remember I mentioned it was "Frozen"? There is a heck of a difference in our woods when they are frozen vs thawed out! The COG was to the right side of the screen. The tag made sure it didn't set back, and she only had to give it a little steady pull.

Hey! Wadaya mean "accent"?:?

The hinge wood is the crucial part, I wanted to make sure the top didn't fly out too far, but really wanted to make sure it flew far enough. The notch was a tad less than 1/2 the stem diameter!

Says the guy from Loisianna!:lol:

Being an AF brat, I'm not from anywhere, actually. I was born in TX. Other than saying ya'll or bayou, I've got more of a neutral/ west coastish sound.

I remember the first time I was called "Boo" in Louisiana!

Ya'll talk funny. Id agree about the size of the notch..... but I can see making it deeper to undermine the COG.

The question I have is....

What took so long?

He's not real fast........ but he sure is slow! :lol:

Hmmm, I'll get back to you on the slow part John!:P:lol:

She gets a tad riled up when she in up to her neck in limbs and I watch her from the "Branch Office"! That tree was 15.5 meters in and out in an hour!

Only 15.5 meters? What's that, about 50'? Why did you need to rope the top instead of just going up and piecing it down? I will always try to eliminate the need for roping from the bucket since I can make a half dozen cuts and throw the limbs in a pile a heck of a lot faster than setting a rope and involving a groundman in the process of getting a 20' top on the ground. I just don't see the purpose of dragging up a rope if I can reach everything without it.

I tagged it in case a breeze blew up! I didn't rig it 'cause it would have needed a tag line to have the top clear the house. I call it the "ounce of prevention" clause.

The limbs were all top cut with the chainsaw until they drooped, and handsawed and tossed on to the junk pile. As I am such a nice guy, I tossed everything so the HO didn't have to untangle 'em much.

He was showing off for his wife......

" Hey Huney...... whatch me throw this top 15.5 metres downward! LOL

Yes it would have reached, but why cut it all in the air, when I had a groundie standing around shivering with her hands in her pockets? I had been asking Burnham about notches, and this seemed to be a easy op to video a low stress job. I have always wanted to see the hinge effect on video, and how the angles/depth effecs same. I extracted a couple still shots of how the notch went. The hingewood realy changes when there is frost in the trees.

Also, it was slow on here this AM, it needed a boost!

If it needs a push or pull, Id rather a pull with a rope. Determining head weight can be difficult on a Spruce tree, one could get in a heap of trouble fast trying to push a top out. A pull is better IMO.

Back