Pilot's License, how hard to obtain?

rangerdanger

TreeHouser
I know one or two guys on here have a pilot's license. Wondering how hard it is to obtain one. A friend of a friend has one here, and he fly's to various places in a small plane he owns. Got me thinking about getting one and flying back and forth from KY to MA instead of driving(if that's feasible, no clue about planes/air travel here). Plus, it's something that I think we be awesome to have.

Financially, I can't see that being remotely near practical. A basic licenese without endorsements (VFR) will run you $5-9k here, add IFR rating and you're going to near double that.

Then the plane would cost $40k+ for a "cheap" "beater" IFR instrumented plane. Then add in the costs of ownership, which would be $40+/hr.

Sure, you could fly an ultralight without a license, but that suck worse than driving by far.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Carl. Like I said, I have no clue about planes, pilot license's, costs, etc. That's why I'm posting this, since some houser's have some experience with these things.

Thanks again!

Definitely cool but expensive and highly impractical. You would need a second car in Mass once you flew up here.

Carl's figures are about right; there's a reason behind the "hundred dollar hamburger" term.

Don't forget the training time.

Regarding ultralights... too many restrictions.

Carl's figures are about right; there's a reason behind the "hundred dollar hamburger" term.

Don't forget the training time.

Also, don't forget, he'd most likely need IFR training seeing as it could be considered a "cross-country" flight. Then you have a lot of airspace he'd possibly be running through depending on his routes, etc.

Then there is the incurred costs on both ends for GA parking, maintenance, and heaven forbid the insurance.

IFR has nothing to do with the length of flight. One can fly to California under VFR. "Visual Flight Rules" simply means you're flying by means of a visual reference to the earth; this can daytime or nighttime, as long as you have at least 3 miles of visibility (generally speaking). IFR , or "Instrument Flight Rules" means you're flying by reference to your instruments.

You don't need an IFR rating to pass through Class "B" or "C" airspace, or even a flight plan. You DO need to be in contact with the controlling tower of the Class B or C airspace, though.

Want a cheap way to get into the air???

...( u-turn.com ) ,have a look at the website video & also on U-Tube, about the most inexpencive way to fly!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the info guys. Now that it's put into perspective, I should probably start saving my extra $$$ if I ever want to get a pilot's license.

When time and money permit you, I'd be more than happy to help you get started in the right direction.

Get into aviation because you love it. The flying, and the decision making that comes with piloting. Not because you want to cost justify it in one way or another.

I am a big believer that aviation, especially soaring, is something that you try to talk people out of, not into. Tree climbing, especially big trees and tossing big wood exercises decision making and situational awareness. Flying takes it to a whole 'nother level. After parenting, it is the second biggest adventure and mental exercise I have ever embarked on.

I couldn't imagine life without flight - I am not sure how you earth bound folks get by.

In regards to licenses, I am only 12hrs into flight lessons. It costs both time and money. Money comes and goes, time is in short supply. I find motorized flight boring in comparison to soaring yet I can promise you that I will get my license - both because my pops has a 182 and sail planes are on my 10yr plan. Without access to a plane, I could never afford motorized flight. Eric said it - they call them $100 hamburgers for a reason.

I'll keep you posted. It is going to be going slower with fewer day light hours. Plus in 2 months I'll have kiddo number 2 in the world.

That and my money sh*tting donkey seems to have escaped.

Money-shitting donkey... :lol:

Don't worry much about the lack of daylight; you need to have a certain number of hours of night instruction, anyways.

Thanks for the congrats. That kid isn't even in the world yet and I am pretty sure he already took off with my donkey.

Good thing I have that money tree in my garden. Hopefully my egg laying wool milk pig hasn't eaten all the leaves or run off with my donkey.

What about Sport Pilot category?
My hubby was a sport pilot, had a Pipstrel Sinus for a while, I flew right hand seat in a Sting and oh boy, if I was ever going to be tempted to learn to fly, THAT little plane was da bomb!

Light Sport and Private require the same training. With LS, you have many more limitations, but you use your drivers' license as proof of being medically fit to fly in lieu of passing an FAA medical exam.

Yup, that's the one.

You have to check out the Sting, I'll see if I can find a picture

Back