Nasty pine bid

sotc

Dormant hero!!
I got a visit from a contractor yesterday asking me to look at a dead 160' pine, leaning heavily, 3' DBH. Said his usual tree guy refused to climb it. I figured it would end up about 100' tall. Well it was around 160' but 31" DBH. Recently dead, forset service is ok with some other trees being damaged but not the bridges or canal or rock walls so that eliminates felling it. When I thumped it I found the tension wood has seperated, bark is loose and no root flare on back side. Decided climbing it is out till top is off. Trying to see how much my 80 ton crane guy will chargeas it is prevailing wage if he can get setup there.
Last pic, it is the tree in the center and background going up and left.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dVuv57WlZG0?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dVuv57WlZG0?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Attachments

• IMG_0104.jpg
    IMG_0104.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0106.jpg
    IMG_0106.jpg
    821.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0105.jpg
    IMG_0105.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0107.jpg
    IMG_0107.jpg
    1,009.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Any thoughts or ideas? Guying the tree would take a massive amount of line but may be doable

Yes. I think it only reaches about 140-150 but theres plenty of room to flop a big top though there will be some mashed trees

Carl has that large spool of rope, doesn't he? Wow some nasty targets!

Yup, but using the lean, depending on targets for the top. Figuring the right angle would be a bugger.

If the crane can get to it strap on a man basket and give it!

Height is another factor, it would need to be guyed quite high to be of any effect and the lousy thing sweeps a couple directions. Most of the brush would be well clear of any guy lines with the severe lean.

The worry with guying it is what if there is a defect between where it's guyed (on the tree) and the ground.

That little canal has water in it doesn't it?

Where are the rock walls? Are they the bridge abutments?

A highline TIP between two tree tops, with those trees guyed as necessary, and drop a big top over the far side of the canal???

Can you use a machine to build with any surrounding down trees to build up the "grade" on the far side of the canal and in front of rock walls so that the tree can go down whole and land across these risers?

A tethered single person hot air balloon. No basket, straight to the harness. Tall and narrow to fit in between the trees.

It's a shame that a crane that can carry all the weight with a clean one time pick cutting at the base, can't make the height. With a jib no way? How close can the crane get?

Yes, water in the ditch.
Rock walls down toward the river kinda where the top would go. Thre would really be no swinging to speak of. Felling is really not an option. Letting it fall on it's own is. I may have to look over the suspended tie in point option more, thats a possibility

what about climbing the tree behind it and jumping over or guy it to that tree or the nearest couple of trees to keep it from swaying and cut the top

Frig those fools. Why did they wait so long to TCOB? The targets aren't worth a climber's life.

I guess a crane can't be used? Or, strip it climbing up as far as you dare, then tossing the top - out of the question?

climb high.......cut frisbees all the way down.

or.....BOOOM? maybe?

Nearest tree tall enough is not close enough to use as a single tie in. Guying it may be an option but i would probaly need a new spool along with all my current rigging lines.
Butch, that was my first plan till I started thumping the base. May need to cut some smaller trees to get the 80T in, if that works for a tie in point then I could probably pick one big log or two after topping it, then fell the base. Course this is if I get the job

Ride the ball up, small packs of C4 with timed prima cord all the way down. What was so hard about that?

Just wondering what would be the result of chokering off at the highest point that the crane can reach and then cutting at the base? Still top heavy?

Back