Advice would be cool

• Thread starter Widow Shooter
  • Start date
  • Replies 51
  • Views 5K
W

Widow Shooter

We went to look at this job, I climbed it, and after a bit, decided I had better re-think this one.

It is a large willow, on of the stems split 2 years ago, fell and is being held up at the tip by a birch on the lakeshore, it is also being held about 6 feet from where the split ends by another limb from underneath.

the problem is there is no stem that has anywhere near the strength to rig it off.

she doesn't want the birch hurt and there is also a cedar hedge just off to the west about 6 feet, they don't want that hurt either, they have all that chicken-wired off to keep the beavers out...:(

I could cut it back near the split, after removing the 3 limbs that are over the hedge.

But I'm guessing the birch will take a huge sudden weight as the hung-up limb suddenly surges forward after it's under-support is cut.
And after that is done, and I cut it loose where it is split, the end of the hung-up limb is going to slide down the birch, more than likely ripping some limbs off of it.

I fuc^&*^ HATE willows on the best days, and this has been hung like this for 2 going on 3 years now:O

You can't go drop the upper end pieces near the birch either to free it from it, there would still be way too much weight forward where it is being supported from under by the other limb...

here are some pics? any advice? Removing the willow still leaves the problem of not crushing the birch tree and the hedge...lol IMGP6398.jpg IMGP6386.jpg IMGP6392.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
IMGP6404.jpg IMGP6399.jpg

a pic showing where the top of the hung up limb is wedged in the birch, and another showing where it is being supported about six feet forward of the split.

Brian, look in the second pic, directly behind the willow, on the lakeshore

If you follow the last pic, you can see the bigger split limb resting on the smaller lower one, follow the big one out and up, it comes to rest in the birch about 30 feet from the split in the willow, real tight area, no boom truck or crane is feasible...;)

Without seeing all the particulars, I'd first lash the split as securely as possible. Go buy a few extra trucker's ratchet straps from HD and really try to reinforce the split area as much as possible. Tie it off to any solid rigging points to help hold some of the load as well. Then I'd climb the birch and cut the willow clear, even using a pole saw. Leave the hung/supporting limb for last and make sure nothing else on the willow will hit the birch if it shifts. Then cut your supporting/hung limb last and hopefully the ratchet straps and reduced weight will keep it from moving too much. Once you're clear of the birch then you can go back to the willow and rig the rest of it back from there.

"keep it from moving too much"....it is 2 feet from the lakeshore :) it is already leaning pretty hard form the big hanger, You thinking i may be taking a dip Brian ;) lol

I'm not very good at diagnosing stuff like that from internet pics.

No matter what, I wouldn't hurt myself because of any ornamental.

and I would not have to rig the rest of willow, I can drop the chunks she said, providing I miss the cedar hedge ;)

Could you brace it from underneath with something? It looks like it might be low enough to the ground to do something like that.

I'm not very good at diagnosing stuff like that from internet pics.

No matter what, I wouldn't hurt myself because of any ornamental.

it is a paper birch Butch, native to Ontario, and apparently, she loves it:lover:

Could you brace it from underneath with something? It looks like it might be low enough to the ground to do something like that.

would be nice, but there is barely room to walk into her yard, what are you thinking steel supports?

here is where it is in the birch, and a closer shot of the top of the hung limb in the birch. IMGP6404.jpg IMGP6402.jpg

Looks like you can clear everything from the birch tree. Leave the supporting limb for last and cut everything else clear first.

see the second last pic, that long top going way up? that is attached to the hung limb to eh? ;)

Littlenick, she doesn't want the birch down or hurt, and believe it or not, she only wants the hung up limb off the willow...:( a wound that size on an already declining crappy willow??? she is pretty much signing it's death certificate anyways...gonna tell her that tonight.

Littlenick, she doesn't want the birch down or hurt, and believe it or not, she only wants the hung up limb off the willow...:( a wound that size on an already declining crappy willow??? she is pretty much signing it's death certificate anyways...gonna tell her that tonight.

Yea i would try and sell her on a take down. If she agrees then i would just remove anything that is getting hung up in the birch, then drop it.

I would piece it out, like others have said. Save the supporting limb for last. That tall top piece, is it possible to get a TIP in the Willow and in the Birch, so you can walk out on the broken limb? Maybe do a double crotch thing between the willow and birch.

Going off of Sean's idea also, you could build a brace underneath it with 4x4's and 2x4's. That's a feasible idea also. If you combine that with piecing it out, I think you wouldn't have too much of a problem. But that's just judging from photos, and the biggest thing I learned this past summer is a picture never fully shows all the obstacles or the actual size very well.

Back