Just a simple inclusion reinforcement for removals

SouthSoundTree

Treehouser
I did this recently on two trees with inclusions that I had to climb and rig, then fell at the butt. Its easy, and there is usually a scrap of rope around. There are other, and likely better ways of doing this, like trucker ratchet straps. Sometimes the better ones are more time consuming, and don't get done.

I used a piece of old rigging rope that I recently started using to cinch up limbs for rolling out on my handtruck (a simple modification makes it sooo much of a labor saver on some jobs).

I have an overhand knot on a bight, so a loop on one end, and choke the two trunks. then tighten by hand, and further tighten by wrapping. This wrapping adds a fair bit of tension, and way better than nothing.

P1060463.jpg

Sorta like this strap MB only higher up with some small length of rope. In a pinch kinda thing. Keep them from splitting apart.

Attachments

• DSC_0528.JPG
    DSC_0528.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • DSC_0540.JPG
    DSC_0540.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So, you thought it was gonna fail as you were climbing it?

The picture was after it was down. I felt certain that it wasn't going to fail with the extra support. The inclusion was deep/ looking possibly like a crack was forming. Was oozing a lot.

I had a locust removal with a weak trunk-trunk attachment that started to move on me when I cut a branch that was grown around a branch on the main trunk. Just some simple insurance. If I have to rig off of an included crotch I'm likely to ratchet strap above the crotch. This is an alternative idea.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
P1060454.jpg

This was the crotch that I was climbing above. I figured it was most likely secure without re-inforcement, but I was working alone, so there was nobody down below that would be able to monitor it.

It was a small tree, and I had to cut it out in some small pieces to fit in the tight drop, and there was a lot of fragile landscaping plants at the base, so I had to go high up in the tree, maybe creating more leverage on the crotch than it might want to support. You don't know how close you are to the splitting point of the crotch until you start to split it.

Back