Shot me a Bear

Treepreacher51

TreeHouser
Well, I'd hoped to add to the deer hunting thread but, not yet I guess. I passed in a little 2x2 opening day, (which my nephew ended up shooting) and shot this fella on Sunday at about 5:35 PM.

My brother and I kicked up three deer at about 9500 feet in the Toiyabe National Forest while hunting that evening. He ended up staying where he was and I headed down about 100 yards and began across a draw hoping to get a shot at one of them or send them back toward my brother.

As I was making my way across a small group of trees, (we were right at the tree line and had been glassing the high ground) I saw this bear down below me about 125 yards. I watched him and could not see any cubs nearby, he was a male I later discovered. I moved to the far edge of the group of trees and sat down on the 45 degree slope just as he cleared another clump of trees. He was walking from my left to my right as I sent a 7 mm. Rem Mag 150 GR. Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silver Tip through both lungs.

This round would not have been my first choice for bear but I has primarily hunting deer. The bear spun and rolled and I put a second round through his back which exited his neck. He rolled down the hill about 25 yards and that's where he expired.

As a side note, both shots were through and through and the first would have been fatal. I was impressed with the penetration but disappointed with what I thought was a lack of expansion, but who can argue with the results I guess. I have had good results with the round on deer and my rifle really likes it.

I estimate he weighed well over 300 lbs but that's just a guess. It was my first bear kill and took me over 4 hours to skin and quarter once back at camp. It took my brother and I an hour and a half to get him there, and it was less than a mile away.

The hide is in the freezer and I spoke to a taxidermist last week.

X12 hunt 2010 _3496.jpg

X12 hunt 2010 _3513.jpg

The hide and head weighed about 65 lbs alone (skull attached) The taxi will remove the skull and return it so i can put it in a beatle box and bleach it for a desk mount.

X12 hunt 2010 _3534.jpg

Huntin' is a lot of fun till you kill something then it's work, but it's still fun...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
T.D. I was thinking I would use it as a rustic decoration of sorts.

Sort of a reminder of the enjoyment of the hunting experience......

Here is one of the bruin partially skinned with his hind legs removed. Looks kind of like a buffed guy with a really long torso.

X12 hunt 2010 _3521.jpg

How bad was the whole in the back?

A friend of mine (taxadermist) mounted the Hason Buck! Ummm lets just say, the hunter sure didn't know much about preseving the head and hide! But then again what do you expect from a "truck hunter"?:roll:

Very cool, I used to look for bear in MT when I was younger. Just stalking and glassing back then. Never took one. WTG!

What do you do with the meat ? Is it something you keep or give away to others ? I've heard that it is an acquired taste.
Oh yeah, nice shot.

Did you save the fat? Bear grease biscuits and pie crusts rock. Breakfsat sausage too

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Got a call from the meat processor this afternoon that the meat is done, 144 lbs of finished product. Mostly ground (about 70 lbs) a bunch of sausage, a few roasts, stew meat and jerky sticks.

I like the bear that I've eaten but like anything the taste can vary depending on the habitat and diet of the animal.

I tend to share my deer and goat so I'm sure I'll be sharing the bear too. Who wants some... Maybe I'll auction off some sausage and jerky as a donation to MB

Never had bear grease biscuits.

Is trichinosis a problem when eating bearmeat?
I know it is over here, particularly in Eastern Europe.

There is a boot waterproofing substance that is sold under the title of 'Bear grease'...comes in a tin. Wonder if it really is? The grease is dark brown.

And that was likely the conversation Stephen and Katy got interrupted discussing!

I was going to ask if you were keeping the meat vs just the trophy, good to hear that you are. I had bear sausage a few years ago, definitely tastes of wild meat, a bit gamey but I bet its all in the spices. Not sure how a roast would do, if it was eating lots of berries and such it would likely be tasty.

Back