Stihl top handles.

sawinredneck

Treehouser
I bought the 192t several years ago, ran good for two years then when I was in the top of a tree trying to blow it out, it wont idle, has to run at full throttle, wouldn't idle. I rebuilt the carb, dicked with it here and there then it lost spark. It's been in pieces on a shelf ever since.
I went out and bought a 200t, loved it, ran like a striped ape, never had a problem with it. Went to fire it up today for the Poplar removal tomorrow, it wont idle now! Dumped the fuel and put in fresh, cleaned the carb, cleaned the air filter, pulled the spark arrestor, nothing helps.
I cranked the LA all the way in and the throttle stop all the way in, this thing should be screaming. NOPE! Wont idle. Set everything to factory, wont idle.
Grab my Husky 350 that's been sitting just as long, fires right up, runs like a champ and is ready to go!
Funny, $325 POS runs after being beat like a dog, $650 "high end" saw gets treated like a princess, wont run. I'm seeing a Husky top handle in my garage and no more Stihls soon!

The carbs are the weak link in the 200T. You can try a rebuild kit but I've had almost zero luck with them on the 200T. But I will bet you $100 that a new carb will fix it.

The new ones are supposed to have more ethanol resistant components. You're in the heart of ethanol country. It's not the saw, it's your fuel.

Don't treat it like a princess, more like... a border collie.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's not that I am going to argue Brian, but why do I have no problems with the hopped up 046 and the 350 carbs?
I grabbed my 200t today to run it before I went to kill a tree Butch, it wont idle no matter what I do.

I'm guessing some rubber part dissolved and some of it got sucked into an orifice, blocking fuel flow or something. It's a known issue. And the 200T doesn't use the same carb as the bigger Stihls. Why does GM have so many problems with their little aluminum block 4 cylinder motors but the 3800 v6 doesn't have the same problems?

My Dad has a Poulan, not sure which model....Not a good pro saw, but sufficient to cut up all the firewood I bring home to him. Anywho, it won't run....at all. I took the carb off twice and stripped it down and blew it out. Reinstalled it, drained the tank, blew through the line to ensure flow, and it won't do a thing. It'll fire, but that's it. I did get it to idle for about five minutes several weeks ago when I was working on it, but the instant the trigger was pulled, it died. Saw shop guy told me it's ethanol-related. Said rebuilding won't fix it...needs a new carb. What 'zactly does the ethanol do that rebuilding won't fix?

Y'all been having fuel line troubles since ethanol?

Ethanol was my first guess too but 200s are supposed to be OK with with E10, right?

Ethanol gums stuff up
fuel_2.JPG

ethanol_513.JPG

3800 was a Buick motor, if I remember correctly. ;)

But I know what you was trying to tell him Brian 8).

Got a new carb on the way, see if it works. Still not happy right now!

Matter of fact my 200 is acting up too at the moment. Its idles fine when starting from cold but when working up in the tree its idling at 5000 rpm, still cuts like crazy still.
Little Husky 338XPT is working fine but still has a long way to go before max breakin power.
Willard.

I had problems with my 200t idling then running lean then shutting off, and either Al or Brian recommended bending up the fuel lever under the diaphragm in the carb and it has basically fixed my problems, although the saw will flood more often. Putting the choke or half choke on for the start will fix the flood problem though.

A while back I rebuilt the carb and didn't adjust the fuel lever and the saw went right back to lean idles then dieing. So I re-bent the lever and wa-laa its fixed again.

I think there's an air leak somewhere in the saw and the increase in fuel is just compensating for it. Someday I will get a pressure test on the saw to try and figure out he problem once and for all. But for now its doing its job fine8)

It's the carb Justin, this thing isn't even run enough it's broken in.

Back