Tree ID reference books

Jack

Treehouser
What are the recommendations for BEST tree ID reference books? OR, is there a thread that already list recommendations?

Thanks in advance, :D

Last edited:
The best ones will be dedicated to your region of the country.

Get one with a dichotomous key for your area and learn to use it. They seem hard at first but read the 'How to use this manual' section and it will show you how to rule out most of the choices right off based on common, coincidental characteristics that have nothing to do with taxonomy. Saves a lot of time.

For general purpose I like 'The Sibley Guide to Trees' and 'Manual of Woody Landscape Plants' by Dirr. Dirr is good only if you have a good guess as to what the tree is to begin with but it ID's tons of cultivars and crosses that you won't find anywhere else.

Trees of north america and europe, Phillips and Rix, native trees of canada, Farrar, trees in Canada, Hosie. 3 good books one with a Dicho key.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The best ones will be dedicated to your region of the country.

Get one with a dichotomous key for your area and learn to use it. They seem hard at first but read the 'How to use this manual' section and it will show you how to rule out most of the choices right off based on common, coincidental characteristics that have nothing to do with taxonomy. Saves a lot of time.

For general purpose I like 'The Sibley Guide to Trees' and 'Manual of Woody Landscape Plants' by Dirr. Dirr is good only if you have a good guess as to what the tree is to begin with but it ID's tons of cultivars and crosses that you won't find anywhere else.

I have a few regional texts with (& without) dichotomous keys and just bought the 'Sibley' last week, very useful. Today on the way home, I stopped and looked at the 'Dirr Manual' ... it's well 'above my pay grade' (lol)! Not that it is expensive, just a little archane for my current knowledge level ... Hopefully, I'll progress and it will become a necessary, valuable addition. They all have some important features but, it seems, none have all the features.

Can anyone share any recommendations or opinions about Arboriculture: Integrated Management of Landscape Trees, Shrubs, and Vines (4th Edition) by Richard Wilson Harris, et al?

No help with the books (I can't read, I just look at the pitchurs) but I wanted to say hello and welcome you to the Treehouse. :)

At some point, if you also might be wanting a book on the material that is in trees, I'd recommend Dr. Bruce Hoadley's, 'Understanding Wood'. Considered a definitive reference. Some application to tree work, and lots of pics....

Jack, I have the 3rd edition of that book, havent looked at it more than twice since I took my ISA cert arb exam to be honest.

Jack, I have the 3rd edition of that book, havent looked at it more than twice since I took my ISA cert arb exam to be honest.

Thanks, Paul ... saved me 90 bucks ... and a few spousal approval points. :D

All good, its worth a read but if you have a reasonable library of other reference books its probably not essential. I am saving for the next edition of the tree appraisal guide and Up by Roots by Jim Urban.

At some point, if you also might be wanting a book on the material that is in trees, I'd recommend Dr. Bruce Hoadley's, 'Understanding Wood'. Considered a definitive reference. Some application to tree work, and lots of pics....

A great book Jay, one of my favorites, so many applications. I initially bought it for drying.

No help with the books (I can't read, I just look at the pitchurs) but I wanted to say hello and welcome you to the Treehouse. :)

Hello Skwerl, and thanks for the welcome! It's amazing ... such good typing when ya "can't read" ... how ya kno wehn ya hav a typo? :|:

Same here. Welcome, Jack!

Thanks! Nice TreeHouse you got here, MB!
attachment.php

So how's treework in Maryland? I think you're our first Marylander.

Work is about the same in Western Maryland as it is everywhere - slow. But, there's been lots of storm work, lately, down around D.C. Doesn't matter to me, however - I'm retired. I refer any real paying work to the local tree-care businesses. Technically, to be perfectly honest, by Maryland law I'm an amateur and cannot receive paid tree work. Though, I'm plenty busy enough working my own land and charity work for those that simply cannot pay. Keeps my climbing skills alive, justifies buying cool gear and saves some trees, too. I look forward to picking-up a lot of the latest tips here about tree care ... hopefully I can contribute some.

There's lots of tree pro's in Maryland ... maybe they're just lurking ... :/:

Back