hickory hanger

murphy4trees

TreeHouser
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s8wZHaB5J6o?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s8wZHaB5J6o?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Much faster, easier, and safer to pull this top with a machine.. I put this up in response to the statement "pulling with machines is wrong", which everyone at TB seemed to agree with.

I guess you're using such a large saw cuz you didn't have a smaller one available?

Why couldn't you just reach out and cut it? I didn't see any targets to speak of. Why all the drama?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No drama, just easier to notch it and descend, than to fool around with getting close enough to cut it and worry about the saw getting pinched or the splinters failing. Simple up and down, pull with the loader, job done...

There was a bunch of bozos at TB telling me that using a loader to pull ropes is "wrong" etc.. I put it up to show a situation where having the loader allowed me to leave a wider hinge and was therefore a safer job. Same reason I put up the cherry limb swing

Daniel watching that video as you pulled the top off the hanging piece broke away from the notched section, Did you not try to just pull/rip the hanger off first?
As you said it was being left as a wildlife tree so any tearing up the top is of no consequence to the end product and it seemed to release easily anyway?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
IN retrospect, that seems like it would have been the better option, to set a pull line, high on the hanger, with a throw line and yank it off with the machine. I was not expecting it to seperate that easily. Hickory is amazingly tuff stuff. That quick tear off was very surprising...

Never would have had to leave the ground.. Always a fat lazy climber's first choice!

I figured you had tried to pull it from the ground, too, but not like you said "high on the hanger" but down near the ground. You had a skid steer, use that pulling power.

But I wasn't there, and I find hickorys to be easy-breaking trees that don't want to fully separate. I may have gone your route.

Good job getting it done safely.

Back