the adventures of Mr Skidsteer

murphy4trees

TreeHouser
The adventures of Mr. Skidsteer

Chapter one: Mr Skidsteer gets lucky again.

Once again, our hero, Mr Skidsteer, faces the daunting task of removing a large dead oak with his undersized old jalopy bucket truck. His overblown ego and arrogance keep him from facing the fact that his bucket is just too small to get the job done right, so stay tuned as he stubbornly charges forward determined to find a way.

He could strap on the hooks and climb out of the bucket to get high enough to lower the large dead lead off itself without hurting the understory trees, however, that would be a hassle for the ground crew to lower through the understory canopy, and more importantly, he would risk ruining his reputation as a fat lazy climber.

He could just make another one of his famous f-it cuts, proving once and for all just how reckless he really is, but that would certainly anger the customer. With average skills at best, he is left with no other choice than to once again rely on his only true redeeming quality, LUCK. So stay tuned and watch Mr Skidsteer get lucky again.
And now a word from our sponsors:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWlPac0btqA

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fWlPac0btqA?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fWlPac0btqA?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Murphy, I have to go, no time to watch the video right now. But, give facial hair some thought. Some chops, maybe a goatee and mustache. It would help get your message across in your informational videos.

Murphy, I have to go, no time to watch the video right now. But, give facial hair some thought. Some chops, maybe a goatee and mustache. It would help get your message across in your informational videos.

I was thinking more along the lines of a spinning bow tie, white face paint and large red nose, but good call on the facial hair.

The adventures of Mr. Skidsteer

Chapter one: Mr Skidsteer gets lucky again.

Once again, our hero, Mr Skidsteer, faces the daunting task of removing a large dead oak with his undersized old jalopy bucket truck. His overblown ego and arrogance keep him from facing the fact that his bucket is just too small to get the job done right, so stay tuned as he stubbornly charges forward determined to find a way.

He could strap on the hooks and climb out of the bucket to get high enough to lower the large dead lead off itself without hurting the understory trees, however, that would be a hassle for the ground crew to lower through the understory canopy, and more importantly, he would risk ruining his reputation as a fat lazy climber.

He could just make another one of his famous f-it cuts, proving once and for all just how reckless he really is, but that would certainly anger the customer. With average skills at best, he is left with no other choice than to once again rely on his only true redeeming quality, LUCK. So stay tuned and watch Mr Skidsteer get lucky again.

Allas! You have finally seen him for what he is. You may have taken a while to catch up with the rest of us, but you got the right idea in the end.

Lets just hope the fella gives up on his rediculous self obsessed antics and climbs back "in the box" now.8)

What is a bit of "side English"? Or rather why is pushing the but, called `side English'? IS there some front to be had to go with the side. Let's not talk about back English.
Dan?

Okay, at 1:38, someone else enters the narration with "another option...". So is Daniel Murphy the guy in the orange, or the mysterious "second voice". Hmmm.....the plot thickens. Might consider using Bill Cosby as a narrator instead?

You called it and did it, Daniel.

A point of safety... when pulling over a dead piece of a tree with the bucket right there, what would have happened if it didn't hinge over correctly? Would a pull rope at the butt of the piece, being pulled from the ground been at least a bit safer way of applying the "side English" that you did apply by hand. I imagine that if the hinge on dead, backleaning wood went wrong and landed on the bucket, there might be an obituary due to a snapped boom.

In situations where something going wrong could mean easily snapping off the boom, I, personally, would feel safer a long way from the trunk, such as on the ground with a second pull rope.

Getting lucky again...maybe. Taking an unnecessary risk that is easily avoided by using a rope to remove yourself from the danger zone...seemingly.

Be safe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
DO you really think I would have put myself in that position if that limb didn't have side lean away from me? C'mon Sean.. WTF

ps. too much side english put the but into the far shrub, so I NEEDED to handle it personally

I thought that you were pulling it directly against the lean, which I would take as the total net lean, from what I picked up from the explanation, that's all.

The Dunning–Kruger effect

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which an unskilled person makes poor decisions and reaches erroneous conclusions, but their incompetence denies them the metacognitive ability to realize their mistakes. The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average, much higher than it actually is, while the highly skilled underrate their abilities, suffering from illusory inferiority. This leads to the situation in which less competent people rate their own ability higher than more competent people. It also explains why actual competence may weaken self-confidence: because competent individuals falsely assume that others have an equivalent understanding. "Thus, the miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others.

The hypothesized phenomenon was tested in a series of experiments performed by Justin Kruger and David Dunning, then both of Cornell University. Kruger and Dunning noted earlier studies suggesting that ignorance of standards of performance is behind a great deal of incompetence. This pattern was seen in studies of skills as diverse as reading comprehension, operating a motor vehicle, and playing chess or tennis.
Kruger and Dunning proposed that, for a given skill, incompetent people will:
tend to overestimate their own level of skill;
fail to recognize genuine skill in others;
fail to recognize the extremity of their inadequacy;
recognize and acknowledge their own previous lack of skill, if they can be trained to substantially improve.
Dunning has since drawn an analogy ("the anosognosia of everyday life") to a condition in which a person who suffers a physical disability due to brain injury seems unaware of or denies the existence of the disability, even for dramatic impairments such as blindness or paralysis

I saw that the bucket is pretty far off to the side, upon re-watching, perhaps perpendicular to the pull. For the bulk of the top to hit the bucket would be pretty difficult if not impossible. For the quick pull to break apart the top, and rain it down on the operator or bucket would be much more possible.

It still seems like the combination of a fast pull and dead top of significant size poses a considerable risk to the bucket operator, and seconarily the risk to damaging the bucket/ boom. I just don't like to put my self in that type of risk, especially when there is such an easy option to get out of the danger zone. The choice seemed to be to put a person at risk instead of a plant. Does this weigh out?

WOW Daniel, you are the best tree cutter ever! I am humbled that you have graced me with your presence and so greatfull that you have come to enlighten me as well as educate me on the ways that I so foolishly have been following! I will forever be indebted to you for such knowledge.

Now, for the first time EVER on ANY forum that I have participated on, welcome to my ignore list.

I think it's where you try to steer the tree with your back cut because your hinge face isn't aimed correctly. A very low probability method which will result in lots of missed lays, but you can always blame it on the skid steer pulling too hard/not pulling hard enough.

Back