Felling video thread

sotc

Dormant hero!!
Lets re-start this with a felling ex-spurt. I love the vertical hinge

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6JB29yiysVg?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6JB29yiysVg?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

He can't estimate measurements for beans either. His stump shot (if you can call it that) is about 3" on one side and I'd bet close to 5 or 6 on the other.

He did have a nice sharp chain though!:roll:

I'm sure it reveals some sort of character flaw in me, that watching that gives me such a feeling of superiority.
:D

I'll disagree with you there, but I'm probably wrong as you seem to be more in tune with the techniques of this guy. A lot in common.

I'll disagree with you there, but I'm probably wrong as you seem to be more in tune with the techniques of this guy. A lot in common.
Well you should watch it again.. he was clearly refering to the width of the hinge, when he talked about taking a little more out of the one side as he adjusted the backcut during the fall. Check 7:35 on the video. I AM in tune with reality cause I pay attention and limit the effect of prejudice in watching other people's videos. You obviously don't, nor do you seem to have any care to get past your own stories. Far too much of that going on around here IMO.

I see your expertise and open mind has you plenty busy during the day.

Well the guy got it on the ground but what the hell gravity will do that .

I tend to agree with Mike, the guy was making chit up as he went .Ha,that crooked notch looks like some of them I make and I damned sure am not claiming to be some kind of an expert .On that though I can sharpen a chain a tad bit better than that one, sawdust cutter there .:lol:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QwZFdhLWL6s?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QwZFdhLWL6s?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Here's another one..

Yet another backyard cowboy who'd starve to death in the woods.
In the time he fiddles around making a face cut, I'd have the tree on the ground and about 1/3 of the limbs off.

Why did he waste his time taking all the branches off and setting a line?
There is plenty of room to just fell, limb and buck the tree.

This may just be a European thing, but I try to keep the bottom of the face level.

Stig, lots of people have no idea how to wedge a tree over. This is something that most people think is only used/ learned in the woods. As I've suggested before, when in doubt, put on a pull line, sucking in the slack as the wedging progresses. Learn to wedge in an urban setting, with a plan B.

It doesn't look like it would have been too wide to clear the building in the foreground. Unless it was backleaning too much to safely and skillfully wedge over, I think it was just inexperience/ underconfidence. Some people would disagree that its fine to wedge over a tree without a pull rope. I'm not in this camp, when the conditions are right.

Heck, I've seen unexperienced people set pull lines in trees with front lean:lol:

But when they post videos of "how to do", I expect them to know how to do it.

Keeping a level face cut only makes sense... that way you don't have to "mark" the backcut with a stick or take 10 steps back to eyeball your backcut.. Juts start at a corner of the notch and swing around with a level bar and you're there..

Looks as though he cut a slight bypass on the face as well.. One thing I learned from making my own videos is you can lean a lot from listening and pick up things that can't be seen. If you listen to the hinge squeak as the tree starts to move, it seems to stop squeaking early into the fall, possibly indicating that the hinge broke early due to bypass dutchman.. straight tree pulled with truck is gonna goto the lay, even with a dutchman, as long as the tree doesn't barber chair.

He probably took the lower limbs off to clear the trees on the far side and thought he might as well loose all the lower limbs while he was there. Its tough to judge clearnaces just from watching a video.. He might have wanted to get a wider window for error though.. HE NEEDS ONE...

I'd have liked to see you drop that tree Stig... and check the clock.. that would be fun... I would have made the face low enough so the stump was ready for the grinder with no flush cut..

In a residential setting, I like to make the stump high enough that I'm sure of straight grain.
But no need to make it so high that running the saw gets uncomfortable.

I have two tricks I've used to show new apprentices what we strive for, speed wise.

One is to find a tree about the size of the one in the video , with a bit of front lean.
Then fell it with 3 cuts from the same stance.just get in position and cut 3 times wo moving. With a sharp 70 cc saw, I can do that in about 15 seconds.

The other was one I used back in my pulp cutting days.
Find a 60 foot norway spruce w/o backlean and bet them, that I could have it on the ground and limbed in 5 minutes.
I've won a lot of bets on that. When you fell, limb and buck for pulp ½ the year, you get wicked fast at snedding.

I'm nowhere near as fast today, since I mostly fall hardwoods now.

I would have used a longer bar.:roll: I was glad to see he paid close attention to what he was doing while gnawing out the face cut. An awful lot of ado about nothing. Might have thought about turning the chipper off so people could actually communicate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Some folks think a wedge is for when you screwed up.

Back