apricot question

bstewert

TreeHouser
Anyone know what might be going on with the trunk of this apricot? The top looks very healthy, and the apricots were delicious. That is, the few that were left after the birds went at it.

apricot1.jpg

apricot2.jpg

Pretty good looking apricot for PNW, we have alot of fungal issues here with them. Discing helps with pest control and to keep wet grass (humidity) away

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What's discing? I have it on a drip system, and it gets no other water except rain.

Lemon+Orchard,+Regueb.jpg

Disced orchard, not that easy in residential but is a non chemical way to keep pests under control. Don't let the infested fruit stay on the tree or lay on the ground, get rid of it

I'll have to scan my old pics someday so they come out a little better. Me on my grampas old case tractor before we went to disc:). It is still on the property along with the disc.

Attachments

• 0912101516a.jpg
    0912101516a.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 3
You're saying disc or disk is the device you pull behind a tractor to disturb the soil and put the little furrow rows in, yes? I thought farmers did that for irrigation. How would that keep pests away? We have raised garden beds that is supposed to help with the bugs. Same principle?

I tried rototilling on this hill and gave up after about 10'.

Things like coddling moths have several generations per year, thats why spraying once doesn't work. Part of that cycle is on the ground amongst leaves, grass old fruit etc. Discing turns those hiding places in and makes them more vunerable to birds, frogs or whatever not mention the critters turned under.

So you're say discing is turning the soil over, or tilling, much like you could with a pitchfork, (except on a farm that would take forever.) I always do that in the garden, but never have done it around trees. I do rake up the leaves, tho.

Here are the garden boxes. I have been using a pitchfork or shovel to turn everything. Sometimes I think about getting one of those little Mantis tillers, but I'd hate to accidentally tear up the wood on the box.

garden1.jpg

garden2.jpg

Is there much gumming associated with the splitting? Bit hard to tell from the picture but Bacterial Gummosis (sometimes called Bacterial Canker) can also cause symptoms like that.

The house I grew up in had some beautiful peach, plum, and apricot trees in the back, and grandma went all out putting it up in jars for the freezer, what we couldn't eat because there was so much. Anyway, I recall my father being diligent about painting some white stuff on all the trunks every year, I think to help prevent disease. That's all I can remember, aside from my unpaid job of raking the leaves after school.

He probabley white washed the things using powdered lime and water .

Peach trees and I suppose apricots are too although I've never seen any are kind of fragile .They grow okay in this neck of the woods but they just don't last very long .

I will say this for both though ,they make excellant brandy .:|:

Back