Wedge Injury

Old Monkey

Treehouser
Mike, my one full time employee that several of you folks met at Flipfest, got hurt yesterday. We where falling a small pine 45 degrees from its lean and Mike was pounding a small wedge into the back cut. The wedge was backing out with his every hit and I was about to stop him before the wedge came out. He took one more hit and the wedge came flying out and hit him in the lower lip, piercing his lip and cracking one or two teeth. He got three stitches on the outside of his lip and two inside his mouth. He's going to need some dental work too.

Why do wedges always hit the mouth? That's the fourth instance I've heard of a wedge popping out and causing serious dental damage.

I hope Mike recovers quickly with no residual problems. I know it probably bothers you that he was on your job, I fear everyday one of my guys will get hurt.

Do you think one of the rifled wedges would've stayed in? I just bought some but haven't used'em yet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've gotten nailed in the shin before but this is the first time I have heard about or seen someone get hit in the face. I should have put a rope in the tree and pulled it over. We were using a splitting maul to hammer wedges, maybe falling axes are safer, I dunno. I've never had something like this happen.

No need for his face to be in the line of fire unless it was a high backcut. Still sucks when someone gets injured.

His face was up and to the side of the tree. The wedge came to him.

Stacked wedges spitting out is the most common way I've seen it. Had a single hardhead spit out and spin around and hit me in the shin w/ the metal cap. That left a mark.

Darin, you said you should have pulled it instead. Was it just too much lean to overcome or were wedges maybe started too late?

It had one branch touching the pine next to it and that was holding it up.

Most people don't know how to pound something, they release the tension on the handle as the head strikes, so it becomes more a bouncy hit. That's not the way to do it, and whatever you are striking, at least bouncing too, and sometimes backing out, as with wedges, often occurs. Driving something is much more efficient with the tension kept on the handle all the way through. Most go through their entire life of smacking, and never know this. My dad use to smack me, he knew....not with a sledge, though.

Getting hit in the mouth totally sucks, sorry to hear it.

Bummer about the kid. Did you see the hangup when you sized the tree, or after it was a problem?
Taglines are good things.

I put a pull line in every thing that isn't obvious and use wedges as back up. I just feel safer that way.

Hope your guy recovers fast.Stitches in your lip must suck.

That's too bad. I've been hit in the leg maybe a time or two, but never got hurt by it. For Mike to get hit in the face, he just about had to strike with the maul head in a low oblique angle to the wedge head, forcing the wedge up and to the side...just bad luck.

For whatever reason, I don't often have a wedge spit out.

Like Newf said, stacked wedges is the most frequent offender. When you do stack wedges, putting a bit of sawchip or dry dirt between them can cut down on slippage alot.

Sorry to hear that Darin. Atleast it sounds like he'll be able to be mended up fine.

I too rarely to never have wedges spit and I'm not really sure why either.

I don't think that the lack of tagline is the culprit. Using barbed wedges, especially stacked is nice, but there is no getting them out without opening up the backcut considerably.

I would suggest that those people that have pounded more wedges probably have the finesse, and the awareness of when it is not working as it should. Rifled wedges would have been better than textured, better than smooth, IME.

I would think that people would benefit a LOT by wedging things over. You can have a pull line set and ready in case you need them, but try to wedge things over. Being a good wedger of trees can be a wonderful skill, which can be hard to gain in residential tree work, unless you take more of the opportunities, at the expense of production sometimes. But really, this isn't losing production, its gaining skills. Think about how much you can produce when you know that you can wedge something over . Wedges don't get trapped under the fallen spar. They don't weigh 8-10 pounds. You don't have to dry wedges after using them in the rain. You don't need a throwline and weight, or spikes/ climbing gear to set them. You will be better trained to use them when bucking, as if you are using them for felling, they are right their. Wedges are especially important for bucking windthrown trees.

Sorry to hear about the injury. Don't feel like it is your fault, but do take it as a training experience and build on that to a greater training opportunity, IMO.

A faceshield on the helmet would have likely prevented the injury, as well.

I would think that people would benefit a LOT by wedging things over. You can have a pull line set and ready in case you need them, but try to wedge things over. Being a good wedger of trees can be a wonderful skill...

I agree with that 100%. I'd like to get some practice on easier trees and work on up to bigger ones.

I don't think that the lack of tagline is the culprit. Using barbed wedges, especially stacked is nice, but there is no getting them out without opening up the backcut considerably.

I would suggest that those people that have pounded more wedges probably have the finesse, and the awareness of when it is not working as it should. Rifled wedges would have been better than textured, better than smooth, IME.

I would think that people would benefit a LOT by wedging things over. You can have a pull line set and ready in case you need them, but try to wedge things over. Being a good wedger of trees can be a wonderful skill, which can be hard to gain in residential tree work, unless you take more of the opportunities, at the expense of production sometimes. But really, this isn't losing production, its gaining skills. Think about how much you can produce when you know that you can wedge something over . Wedges don't get trapped under the fallen spar. They don't weigh 8-10 pounds. You don't have to dry wedges after using them in the rain. You don't need a throwline and weight, or spikes/ climbing gear to set them. You will be better trained to use them when bucking, as if you are using them for felling, they are right their. Wedges are especially important for bucking windthrown trees.

Sorry to hear about the injury. Don't feel like it is your fault, but do take it as a training experience and build on that to a greater training opportunity, IMO.

A faceshield on the helmet would have likely prevented the injury, as well.

Based on the info Darin gave your analysis is flawed. They were taking the tree quartering off the lean, the wedge was not getting started or too much pressure was on the cut to get it set. The tree was married into another tree by at least one branch, which means little or no movement to the lay. A wedge won't help this problem. Tagline will.

Rifled wedges are crap, they are made from a poor plastic compound. When doing urban treework, NOT putting a rope in a tree is often silly. Using a rope or cable when falling in the woods is a rarity, In town it should be SOP.

I got hit in the mouth by a wedge, punctured lower lip and tongue, broke front tooth. I was being lazy. Felling a maple, the head lean looked marginal but I figured I'd try it with no wedge. I was sick that day hence the laziness and trying for a shortcut. Sure enough it leaned back, closing the backcut. I tried to open the kerf with a wedge but with all the weight on it, it didn't want to open up. As I was hitting the wedge, it popped out and attacked. That'll teach me.

Edit: Geez, again I want to edit out that redundant "felling" word, and it's not showing in the editing post.

Back