cherry limb swing

murphy4trees

TreeHouser
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puTjkI9qSfs

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/puTjkI9qSfs?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/puTjkI9qSfs?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

72 seconds .. short and sweet..

Does e'rybody waddle around in their saddle when standing on flat ground running a pole saw or doing other menial duties? I take mine off if I'm not goin' back up a tree in the next five minutes.

Pretty basic stuff there, Murphy. Doesn't look like your hinge held at all, it just snapped off. And your tip line was slack until after your hinge broke, so the only thing that saved the day was your skid steer operator covering your ass with a quick snatch.

We have lots of outfits around here using identical methods. Only the smarter guys can educate themselves to do better, most are happy using the skid steer to snatch limbs so they can get their beer money at the end of the day.

Cute shirt. You look like a shorter, fatter Mark Chisolm. :/:

Does e'rybody waddle around in their saddle when standing on flat ground running a pole saw or doing other menial duties? I take mine off if I'm not goin back up a tree in the next five minutes.

Same here. As soon as I touch the ground, I take off the saddle. Spikes too if they're on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just in case there is someone out there interested in an intelligent analysis of the video, I took another look after reading your post rocky.. on the slow motion a lot can be gleaned from LISTENING to the action..
Branch pops and limb lifts at the cut, hinge fibers sqeak for a moment until drowned out by the skid motor starting, or possibly failure.. loader never moves, as that can be heard as the rollers are loud. Line does go slack for a moment during the swing, not because of loader though, only movement of the work..

no one said it was rocket science:

"we're all just a bunch of dumb tree cutters"
treeclimber 165 from back in the day!

Pretty basic stuff there, Murphy. Doesn't look like your hinge held at all, it just snapped off. And your tip line was slack until after your hinge broke, so the only thing that saved the day was your skid steer operator covering your ass with a quick snatch.

We have lots of outfits around here using identical methods. Only the smarter guys can educate themselves to do better, most are happy using the skid steer to snatch limbs so they can get their beer money at the end of the day.

Cute shirt. You look like a shorter, fatter Mark Chisolm. :/:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
SKid steer was on the tip tie.. one man was pulling the tag line by hand.. probably didn't need that, but just wanted to make sure it didn't want to go the wrong way...
Skid steer never moved.. you can clearly hear the rollers squeak on tape any time it does.. this was confirmed by the operator.

Um, Pete, I do think Daniel had that line under a fair bit more tension than could have been applied by hand. I would have done the same thing, but with our GRCS. The radical line angle was optimal for keeping the swing going nicely till the limb cleared the dogwood. Pretty basic stuff, though it was an impressive swing. As it was tied past the balance point, I might have added a butt line as insurance in case the hinge failed early, to keep the butt from possibly whacking the dogwood.

Back