Get out of the f*&^$% WAY!!!!

Bermy

Acolyte of the short bar
Ok, so this morning I was working for a friend, I had to get up at 5:30 to make the site at 7:30, fell and cut up a small norfolk pine. 50', about 18" dia.

He went up in his bucket put a rope in it, and set way back for the pull. It had a slight lean and a light breeze in the wrong direction, so I said lets put a rope in it just to be safe.
We had another guy relaying signals to the driver because there was a hedge in the way between me and the bucket truck doing the pull.

So the tenant wanders out just before we got set up, wanted to move the other truck...we said, no it's blocking the driveway so no-one can drive in during the fell. My buddy told her we were cutting down the tree, she could see the set up...and we'd be an hour or so getting it all cut and cleared and then it would be all clear.

Right, tension set on the pulling line, in goes the wedge, look at the groundie, all ok...start the back cut, 2/3 the way through the cut all HELL broke loose, the stupid tenant wandered out and stood almost right under the line, looking at the truck!! She was slightly off to the side, but still well into the forward danger area:O

The groundie yelled, my friend in the truck leaned on the horn waving and yelling...she moved in time thank GOD! and down came the tree. I couldn't see her because of the hedge, I just caught a glimpse of her as she walked back to her apartment.

She was a little purturbed at our yelling at her, boy, we were shaken up. We immediately started to figure out what we had done wrong, how she got to be able to get out into the danger area...

Ok, we could have put some cones across her access, and maybe been a bit more specific with her when initially talking to her...but she's SEEN the setup, I guess sometimes we do not account for people not being as aware of the dangers as we are...but there was some personal stupidity involved too! But still the onus is on us to secure the site...lesson LEARNED (or reinforced)

Then the tree is down, I'm delimbing and crosscutting, her friend comes over with morning coffee, and starts to walk as if she's coming right through the work zone...my buddy had to stop her and make her go around...at least we got that one right.

Then to cap it all off, my rigging bag fell off the truck on the way to the dump my buddy had put it in the bucket of the bucket truck because the dumper was full up...I ain't seen it since...frig, $350 worth of kit in it...and I only made $150:X

Went to play cricket after all that...had fun playing, and beer after...sigh
My grass needs cutting...I'll do it tomorrow.

It's tough to keep idiots out of the work area sometimes. Some people are really intent on being morons. I've worked several jobs where signs or cones or tape were put up. They must assume that they are for other people as they have no problem moving them, walking around, over, under into the kill zone.

Erik was helping me with a clearing job for a new home. We blocked the dirt access with 6 cones and a sign. The electrical inspector moved the cones and drove to where we were actively dropping trees. Almost lost his pick-up. Of course not even a cellar hole so there was no electrical to inspect but he felt somehow entitled. Dumbass.

Sorry you lost your gear. I hate when profits get eaten up by stuff like that.

How about the nosy neighbor I almost drilled with the 80 foot pine on airport Ken's job? Another Darwin award seeker. :roll:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4JuS5AwR5Xg?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4JuS5AwR5Xg?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

You can't devise a way to keep idiots out of your work zone because idiots are geniuses at being idiots! They can get around any safety barrier and generally do it without being seen. Some people are just oblivious to their environment... I think they think they're real smart and don't trouble their thoroughbred brains with practical matters... like survival.

Just wander out of the forest into a clearing job. Yeah, he wasn't too brilliant either.

You can't devise a way to keep idiots out of your work zone because idiots are geniuses at being idiots! They can get around any safety barrier and generally do it without being seen. Some people are just oblivious to their environment... I think they think they're real smart and don't trouble their thoroughbred brains with practical matters... like survival.

I often wondered if stupid people were cognizant of the fact that they were stupid. I figured they must be oblivious otherwise that might be a tough concept to deal with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
SUX when people do stupid shat. Also sux when the days profits get eaten up with a boo boo...
But everyone lived :)

For real!!!!

I have hope my bag will turn up, got lost announcements out on the radio, called the police station in case anyone drops it off. It could happen, people by and large are still pretty honest here...praying!

I often wondered if stupid people were cognizant of the fact that they were stupid. I figured they must be oblivious otherwise that might be a tough concept to deal with.

It's tough, I'll tell ya. I used to think I was a genius but the longer I live, the more I realize just how ignorant I am most of the time. Now I just think I'm slightly autistic (or even savant). I'm exceptionally talented in a few limited areas but other than that I'm barely bright enough to survive on my own.

For real!!!!

I have hope my bag will turn up, got lost announcements out on the radio, called the police station in case anyone drops it off. It could happen, people by and large are still pretty honest here...praying!

Wow... and I thought I lived in a small community.

Then there are the ones who insist on driving down the street, stopping and just sitting there in their car at the cones...or even honking :X.... when there is an alternate route close by. Honking at a 25 ton crane :lol:. Admittedly, no closure permit might be the case, but it's well obvious what is going on before they get up close to the job, signs put up, and often a big pile of brush in the street too, if they care to observe.

"Well, I sure wasn't informed!", one rather obstinate fellow said rather belligerently, a few weeks ago. No choice then but to hurry up and clear the street for the ten second drive by. Be nice...be nice...count to ten......

That lady should have been thankful she was yelled at.

I think stupidity is part of it but I think that our work draws people in too. Its entertaining, folks want to watch what's going on. They think because we are "experts" nothing bad can happen. Most on lookers and some tree guys don't have a good physical imagination for what we are about to set in motion. Before I cut a branch lose, I have pretty good image in my head of what it will do. A lot of folks are just surprised. Its hard, however, to imagine what people will do before they do it. Having people near your drop zone adds a certain randomness that is discomforting when you are trying control a dynamic situation. Trees are easier to predict than customers.

I don't have luggage tags on my gear bags but now wonder if I should. Would make it easier for an honest person to contact me if one were misplaced.

I don't have luggage tags on my gear bags but now wonder if I should. Would make it easier for an honest person to contact me if one were misplaced.

I think I'll take the time to get my email address on all my gear bags. That's a really good idea.

Ounce of prevention...

love
nick

Can't fix stupid Fiona..;) at least all is okay, but man, 150 bucks and losing 350 worth of gear...I'd be pissed :(

I have lost some small things, hitch cords, throw-cubes, biners, etc...

it always SUCKS to lose shit.

Yeah, its a good situation when no-one is hurt. I couldn't see how close she got, but the driver sure was vexed...she tried to come and talk to us after, a bit 'hurt' at some of the language that got tossed her way (guilty :( , my buddy was having none of it, without resorting to any further 'naughty' words, he let her know in no uncertain terms that she was seriously lucky to have moved in time. It all ended nicely, she finally realized how dangerous the situation had been and how shook up we were, and we all went home peacefully. She even invited us first dibs on her house sale she was setting up...

No kit yet...I'll call the talk shows tomorrow...I like the idea of putting an email address on things, the only hint is my last name on the slings...I'll even go so far as an ad in the paper if it doesn't show up in a couple days.

I have double-sided printing on my business cards (regular business card on 1 side, email address on the other). A couple of layers of laminating and a hole punch make a relatively rugged ID tag. I also use this 'idea' to keep tabs on which gas can has what mix (or not) in it.

Today I did some work at a bank for some landscapers. I had to cut down a couple small trees and one was a flopper so I threw a notch in it and began the back cut. The guy I was working for was watching me and the tree was moving pretty good before he figured out he was under it. I laughed inside as I watched him jump back in panic in order to avoid getting hit (after he watched me intently for 2 minutes from the kill zone).

Meanie...you figured he was clear enough just to give him a scare...?

No, he was actually under it by about 3'. Maybe he was figuring it was going to crash into the awning instead of following my notch and swinging clear toward the open parking lot. But it was a sweet gum, soft and brittle. It probably wouldn't have hurt him too badly. :evil:

Back