Any bird hunters?

• Thread starter top hopper
  • Start date
  • Replies 59
  • Views 5K
T

top hopper

My 2 Springers have been driving me bonkers for weeks now. With summer nearing end they know that soon its their time. Well tomorrow is the day. The guns are cleaned and ready to shoot. At 9 am tomorrow, we'll be on the hunt for these tasty little feathered critters.

pheasnt1.jpg

5746440-lg.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Anyone else into bird hunting?

Mmmmmm, those look tasty , even with the feathers on!!! I used to hunt both migratory and up-land game. Then some bozo decided that all shot had to be steel, and the Gov't decided that all guns needed registration. My shot gun won't handle steel so I dropped the bird huntin'

You say deer, elk, moose, or speed goat, I'm there!!!!

Phesants are far & few between in my area now a days. Haven't seen a wild bird in over 4 years!

When I was a kid, there were thousands of them everywhere!

Only bird I hunt now are Ruffed Grouse up north when I'm at moose camp.

Excelent meat I must say & a .22 does just fine on head shots!!!

HC

Attachments

• Ruffed Grouse.jpg
    Ruffed Grouse.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 64
I used to hunt dove and duck a lot...I remember some great dove shoots in S. Georgia. A buddy and I would get up at 4:30am, drive about 1 hour in his Porsche 914 at high rates of speed to Cedartown, be in the swamps (at Booger Hollow) at daybreak and shoot ducks as they started moving. Then we would hot foot it back to make a 10am class at GA Tech...I don't know how we did it but it was a lot of fun.

I never shot pheasant...did shoot some quail with a dog and that was truly fun...I'm sure your pheasant hunt is too.

You gotta be a pretty damn good to get a Grouse with a .22.

Mmmmmm, those look tasty , even with the feathers on!!! I used to hunt both migratory and up-land game. Then some bozo decided that all shot had to be steel, and the Gov't decided that all guns needed registration. My shot gun won't handle steel so I dropped the bird huntin'

You say deer, elk, moose, or speed goat, I'm there!!!!

Here you can use lead to hunt upland birds, but all migratory waterfowl must be taken with lead shot. As a matter of fact, you cannot even hunt for waterfowl with lead shot in your possession, let alone in your gun.

Plenty of whitetail here too, elk and moose in the extreme north (almost Canada).

WTF is a speed goat?

that was truly fun...I'm sure your pheasant hunt is too.

Absolutley, the dogs LOVE it, even if we come home empty handed.

I just enjoy getting out and walking for miles with the dogs while they do what they were bred for.

Its funny, I just took the shotguns out of the safe a couple of hours ago and the dogs saw me pull them out and started going apeshit bouncing off the walls. They're more exited about it than me.

I was a quail hunter. I don't have any place to hunt now.

Cmon up. We've got; duck, geese, woodcock, grouse, pheasant, quail, dove, turkey and even prairie chicken.

plus not to mention the best freshwater fishing in the world. Eh Brent? :P

Its funny, I just took the shotguns out of the safe a couple of hours ago and the dogs saw me pull them out and started going apeshit bouncing off the walls. They're more exited about it than me.

The bird dog I remember best was Bell, my uncle's dog...she would tremble, shake and be a jittery nervous wreck when she was on point. It was amazing to see how well a dog could help a man hunt.

My next dog will be a pointer. Gives the guy with the gun a little more time to prepare.

:P They just caught a 50+ lb Rainbow in the S SK River about 40 mile down river from me, and the WR Whitetail was shot 60 miles from me.

It really sucks livin' in huntin' heaven and no one to hunt with!

I had a pair of Irish setters, Ummm that could have been a reason for my excessive drinkin' back in the day! Duffy was a great setter for huntin', Molly not so much!

We have a Chocolate Lab now, Poor bugger is a swimmin' fool and no where to do it! A wounded crow spoiled him (as a puppy) for hunting!

Hope you have a great day with the dogs, and hopefully the birds too!:/:

a 50 pound rainbow trout? seriously. was it about 6 feet long? lets see the data on that deal eh? :)

The very last pheasant I even attemted to take was in Jan 1971 after I got out of the navy . They are all but nonexsistant any more .

Fall plowing,granulated fertilizer,insectisides and loss of habitate by removing fence rows just about eliminated them .

I don't hunt any more but when I was in high school I had a standard sized male beagle and a 90 pound German short hair retriever .Now that was a hoot,a howling beagle hot on the trail of a rabbit and a big pointer flushing birds .I bought a lot of shotgun shells in those days .:) Ha ,that pointer could clear a 5 foot fence with two strands of barb over the top like it was nothing .

A friend of mine hunts with Beagles. Once they get on a scent they go absolutely crazy. They can really cover some territory with those short legs when they get into it, and without a tracking device attached to one, they'd be long gone.

Back