Crane removal presentation

• Thread starter top hopper
  • Start date
  • Replies 52
  • Views 5K
T

top hopper

If you were going to a crane removal presentation, what type of information / data would you hope to be presented to you?

Presented indoors on a powerpoint presentation, with say a 1 hour time limit.

Very basics?
Cutting / slinging techniques?

nothing in the immediate works, Im just curious as to what experienced climbers / company owners would hope to come away with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
ok- lets keep em coming

Id like opinions from those of you with no / minimal crane experience and those of you with alot of experience.

Assume the audience would be a mixed bag of novices and seasoned pros.

You mentioned cutting and slinging techniques. Also placement and safety would interest me ... Assuming I may have to hire a crane with also limited or nil in tree experience. I want to hear more from the veterans as I have nil experience with cranes.

Placement of?

The crane itself or sling placement? Or both?

Safety? yes thats the main idea

I'd be interested in the things mentioned already. Also a complete walk thru of a few different scenarios(or maybe just one standard job with mentioning to a few different ways/things that could vary) from the viewing to the doing and all of the steps involved. With the powerpoint showing pictures along the way that highlitghted the points/steps being made.

Weight
safety
slings/type/placement. Advantages/disadvantages to the different ways of attaching the pic/load to the crane.
cuts and comparing how and why different cuts may be used.
If you're talking to a local audience then a rundown of the rules and regs. There's no riding the crane here unless in a manbasket with no load attached.

I have minimal crane experience.

Work positioning for crane removals would be good for beginner crane users.

Alot of difference in up and down. ;)

Sling placement would be hard to come across as you will never have the same weight distribution on every tree. Plus its also kind of common sense imo.

Attaching a climber to a crane properly.
Electrical Safety maybe?

What do you mean by "alot of diff. in up and down"?

In work postioning for rigging down a tree and cutting for a piece to fly up and away.

By no means do I have tons of crane experience but I have done a few.

It is NOT fun IF a pick rolls when cut free. Slinging it so it is butt heavy is important, knowing when to use multiple slings is likewise important.

I myself like to cut over my head, so that if the piece comes off a little less than predicted, I am already out of the way.

That pretty common sense about keeping the pieces butt heavy, I assume.

Maybe about different ways to pick branches; balance, tip, notch, and lift...

Sling angles and how different angles can either share or multiply the load on each sling.

crane tie in standards

techniques for communication with crane op. and hand signals

cutting techniques specific to crane use.

load charts, and Working load limits for cranes and slings

Ohh, and hazardous ground conditions. ie; septic tanks, soft ground, proper cribbing, etc...

To run scenarios before you cut so you know what to expect if the piece shifts one way or another.
To pay attention to your kerf while cutting.
When to make face cuts and when to cut straight through.
Tips like rolling the shackel after you set it so the bolt is in the eye, that way as the sling tightens it doesn't roll the bolt tighter

Yes we are! Great stuff guys!

Keep throwing out ideas please.

Willie, I like - to watch the kerf while cutting

regarding rolling the shackle, I rarely use one myself.
Do you use one all the time? With cable or nylon slings? or both?
When I do use one, I do make sure the bolt is in the eye, and I also backturn the bolt a quarter turn after its seated to keep it from overtightening. It never really occured to me that if the bolt wasnt in the eye it could roll tighter when load is placed on the sling. I always just put the bolt in the eye cuz it seemed right, but now I understand good reason for it.
Great stuff!

I back it off a quarter turn also:) We always use a shackel, cable or fiber.

Make sure the cable is plumb to minimize movement

Proper step cuts for raising limbs, as well and leaving a wide shelf on face cuts hinged for the sky.

Steps to minimize shock loading the crane.

Balancing limbs properly.

We always use a shackel, cable or fiber.

Why is that?

I use fiber slings 99% of the time. And just feed the sling around the limb and through the eye, then hook the other eye to the hook. The only time I use a shackle is when the slings arent long enough.

Im not implying that Im right or you're wrong, Im just curious as to why.

Thats what the crane guys send to me. Maybe an issue with fusing the sling as it slips down tight? Not sure, I rarely take the sling off the hook, specially when they send the 20' loopie!

I saw that bivyless connects slings together. We don't Just get 2 appropiate length slings and move them till it's right. I need to use 2 slings more often so all my pics will be smooth like John8)

Back