Icetail... Class 1 or 2?

• Thread starter Blinky
  • Start date
  • Replies 10
  • Views 3K
B

Blinky

So, which one is it? I couldn't find anything on Samson's site...

I didn't look real hard.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you. So what particular fiber is it? I didn't see that either.

Class 1 and class 2!!!

If you pull one strand off and take it apart you will find technora fibers wrapped (not woven) around an inner core of polyester.

The splice they recommend is the locking Brummell. They have it listed under the eye-eye splicing directions- the same ones they recommend for tenex.

love
nick

Do you need to use the longer class II bury? I'm trying it single thickness for an adjuster on a 3/8" Beeline lanyard.

According to the paper, yes- you need the full bury.

I have an icetail eye-eye with short buries for just your same reason (to use on a lanyard w/ 3/8" diameter). It works fine. I can tell it's not gonna fall apart..

Would it break at full strength? Doubt it. Will it ever break in normal or extreme use? No.

love
nick

According to the paper, yes- you need the full bury...

FWIW, I did one pull test on Ice Tail. I had intended to do a series of tests with increasing bury lengths, so I started with a very short bury (4 inches of which 2 inches were tapered, no Brummel, no stitching) intending to work up from there. It never did pull apart; the rope broke right at the end of the bury at 8000 lbs. tension. This was a pleasant surprise. My hands-on impression of Ice Tail after making a number of splices in it and tons of splices in various sizes of Tenex is that new Ice Tail is not as slippery as new Tenex. The Samson splicing instructions, as they should be, are very conservative.

Also in your favor is that icetail is woven tighter than tenex is, so the shorter buries have the effect of having more holding power...if that makes sense

Wow, a straight bury broke at 8 grand? Shweeet!

Back