Husky 266 barrel & Piston

Thor's Hammer

Wolfish. Sometimes Bites.
So my Father came over to cut some firewood for himself. He's a touch off 70, but still enjoys swinging a saw round...
Unfortunately, he managed to sieze his Husky 266. Its an oldish saw, but one of his personal favourites, so I want to help him rebuild it. He also has another 266 with the same problem...
It would appear that they need a new jug and piston. Trouble is, over here I have to go for very expensive OEM parts, so I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction of something else...

Attachments

• 266001a.jpg
    266001a.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • 266001b.jpg
    266001b.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • 266002a.jpg
    266002a.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 266002b.jpg
    266002b.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 7
That one is toast...

Do it right and change seals and membranes to.

As for help in finding parts for these for a resnoble price I think US would be best to look...

Check in on CSCF and drop a PM to William Greene, he might have these parts in a box some were...
If not Fleabay or a post in wanted section in CSCF would be next step...

You just missed. I sent a running PHO 266xp (with perfect top end) to a another guy, that I took in trade on some parts for $40.

I was hoping the saw was a 262, but wasn't when received. So I had no interest in it and moved it for what I had in it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That one is toast...

Do it right and change seals and membranes to.

As for help in finding parts for these for a resnoble price I think US would be best to look...

Check in on CSCF and drop a PM to William Greene, he might have these parts in a box some were...
If not Fleabay or a post in wanted section in CSCF would be next step...

Seals and membranes? like crankase seals?

Why is he seizing saws? And why is there so much crud down in the crankcase? Is he running it without an air filter? It's definitely lean seized, so I'd figure out why it was running lean. Either carb or an air leak somewhere.

Last one I fixed was running lean because the idiot took the fuel filter pickup off the fuel line in the tank. Every time he tipped the rear handle up, it sucked air in the fuel line. Took about a year and a half for him to seize the motor and he never had a clue.

He's not seizing 'saws'. The previous 266 was seized about 10 years ago by an employee. I just thought that it would be a nice project for the 2 of us to rebuild them, along with a 181 he has.
Try not to be so friggin' patronizing. My father was running and maintaining saws when you were in short pants. The crud is in the crankcase because its been sat in the bottom of a draw for 10 years.

Edit: thanks for the air leak tip. :)

Last edited:
Oh it definately pulled some aluminum but I'm not so sure that a lean out did it all .Kind of hard to determine looking at a picture .

It might be such a situation where the tramp aluminum can be removed from the cylinder and it be salvaged ,hard to say ? If it's through the chrome though it's just a paper weight .

Oh it definately pulled some aluminum but I'm not so sure that a lean out did it all .Kind of hard to determine looking at a picture .

It might be such a situation where the tramp aluminum can be removed from the cylinder and it be salvaged ,hard to say ? If it's through the chrome though it's just a paper weight .

Whats the best way of cleaning the tramp aluminium
Al?;)

I just checked out Baileys . The price on a piston is not too bad but a complete cylinder/piston cost more than the saw is worth ,good grief .:O

I wasn't trying to be so gosh darn patronizing, my apologies if you took it that way. I was only responding to the information given.

Use oven cleaner to clean up the jug.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your first post made it sound like his saw seized up while cutting the firewood, and the why part was the first thing that came to my mind, as well. Sort of natural like wondered if he was adjusting the carb screws(?).... helped to have a further explanation, but kind of jumpy on the skwerl, is my take. Dude shoots from the hip, if you don't know that by now.

The 266 is worth the rebuild!
If it gets done right with new seals, line, filter, membranes and run on alkylate fuel after, you will have a saw that runs forever!

Run it a bit rich on Alkylate/Aspen and it will do you service for many years.

Be careful when shifting different fuels, that alone can ruin a saw.
Not only does the mix change and settings, but the characters of fuels make it no good to shift back and forth.

If you put Alcylate fuel in a saw with oil and crap in it, it will clean house and burn it. Sometimes small pellets are created that can't get out and bounce up and down on piston until they find the way down a side and the saw is toast!

Don't get me wrong, Alkylate is a far better fuel.

Here is a little thing that shows pretty well the greatest benefit of the fuel!

It does not smell, change, dry out, soften or stiffen. The only fuel I know you can run indoors without getting heavy headed and tired.
No odurs, not aggressive...

The green stuff floating was in a box William sent me.
I thought it was regular cell plastic and dropped it in....
Nothing....

I looked at William and he said:

"Ahh, it was that biodegradable stuff that we bought for packing as it was better!"

HA!
If gas wont solve it, the dirt will have a tuff time taking care of it too...
Environmental BS!

Back