OREGON ARBOROL

PCTREE

Treehouser
Anyone use it? How do you like it? I have been using veg oil for about 4 years and like it OK but it is messy..........

If oil was so bad then the country would have been poisoned beyond human habitation long ago. Do you know how many gallons of oil are used in paving a 100' square area? Think of the billions of gallons of oil dumped on the ground to make pavement and then tell me why I should use veggi oil in my chainsaw? Ridiculous.

me calling someone a terrorist? nope, not at all, just putting some info out there. :) and pulling RJS's chain a lil bit.

Thanks to Google it appears that Arborol is a concentrate that you mix with water to make your bar lube. Sounds like a neat concept except the cost is about 10X the cost of bar oil. You can buy 3.4 oz. (enough to make a little over a pint) for $5. The bigger size they list is only a tiny bit more lube (4.23 oz. to make 1.31 pints) but you get the fancy mixing bottle for ONLY $19. :roll:
http://www.chainsaws-etc.com/arborol_chain_oil.htm

Bailey's is a buck less, only $4 for the 3.4 oz bottle (plus shipping).
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=54060
There are 3,785 ml in a gallon so that means you need about 7.5 of these to make a gallon of bar lube. Still over $30 per gallon.

On the Bailey's link, under the FAQ tab it says that this stuff should be used in temps between freezing and 77 degrees. I guess that means it won't work in Florida 11 months of the year.

I am thinking of going the fifty gallon drum of bar oil route and save the environment by not throwing out so many gallon containers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dont get your knickers in a twist Brian!! I wasnt too concerned with enviromental reasons (I ran used motor oil for years:|:) I just use veggie as it is way cheaper than bar oil and WHEN it gets spilled on the customers patio isnt a big deal. I didnt do the math as you did and realize how expensive it is. I now need to find how to emulsify my $15/5gallon container veggie with water to make it even cheaper......:roll:

We staple absorbent pads to the tree's to collect the oil anyhow.

Most of the logging contracts on government land here, specify veggie chain oil use. They don't say anything about all the two cycle oil that gets tossed out mixed with gasoline in the exhaust. I could see them saying to not let your saw idle for more than thirty seconds, when not cutting wood....similar to the law implemented towards idling taxis waiting to pick up a fare at the train station.

Here we have to use both biodegradable oil and that special gas, which I can't remember the name of ( one brandname is aspen), when falling in State forests.
I actually use that gas all the time, even though it is expensive.
It is much kinder on my lungs than regular 2- stroke oil mix.

Premixed alkylate fuel. I actually saw some in the hardware store this summer. Only $5 per quart.

It is much kinder on my lungs than regular 2- stroke oil mix.

It's funny you say that. I really make no fuss about breathing in the Stihl premix, I gotta say though, he uses that 100:1 Amsoil crap where I work and it burns your lungs. Not to mention the fact it looks like your pouring straight gas into a 800$ saw.

Back to bar oil.

Back