Baileys Saws

• Thread starter RIVERRAT
  • Start date
  • Replies 46
  • Views 6K
R

RIVERRAT

Help me out here. Some time ago Baileys offered, if memory serves a balanced & amped out 372 Husqvarna that had been tagged with a diiferent name. This allowed them to sell this saw mail order. Cant find it on thier sight.

Is it still available?

Are you thinking of the "Univent"? Skwerl got one; don't think he was particularly impressed, though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, thats it. Is still offered?

Brian dont know nothen bout no amped out saws:D

It wasn't tweaked, but it was the 75cc version instead of 71cc. It's still sitting unused on the shelf waiting for one of my others to die. No sense having four of them in rotation since I can only use one at a time.

As far as buying saws from Bailey's, I'm not sure if they still have anything I'd want. They lost their Husky franchise and I'm not sure if they even have Dolmar any more. I know they got spanked hard on the Husky thing due to internet sales so you may need to get on the phone and speak with somebody there to find out exactly what they do sell.

I have heard good things abvout the Solo saws that they offer... but not much dealer support... kinda like Dolmar, but worse.

So Brian... you wanna sell that Univent? ;)

They do sell Husqvarna saws. Just not over the internet or phone. It's now a "walk-in" type deal... Like before the internet.

Gary

Brian when I talked with Baileys more than a year ago they said the Univent was was amped out. Not only that but the salesman said it was balanced & blue printed.

Any way if that saw is not available as described to me it looks like a Stihl 361 is in my future.

You could do a lot worse than getting one of those!

361? I love um!
Just thought a worked over 372 might be nice.

Jeff, I'm not willing to argue with you over it, but I'll let you look at the pictures and decide for yourself if the Univent was 'balanced and blueprinted' (whatever that means). I took the jug off of mine just to have a look-see after running one tank of fuel through it.

It's a nice saw, but it's a stock 75cc jug. I will send it off to be worked over before I ever put it into service.

No Brian I believed you. I was just stating what I was told.

Why not try a Jonsered 2171.

Its the same saw as the 371/372

I believe Makita baught out Dolmar and thats what your seeing the bailey's Cat now. Anyone ever try the Makita pruning saw ? They look resonably priced, just dont know if the have any zip.

Don't know how it compares with a stock engine, but the cylinder transfers in Brian's pics run all the way down to the crankcase and the lowers are shaped nicely, that shows some attempt to get better fuel flow. The exhaust port looks like it could be opened up quite a lot, if they really wanted to get more power and have a better performance and cooler running engine. It doesn't looked "tweaked".

I doubt anyone would sell a saw to the general consumer that was modified much beyond stock configurations. Too many wankers who would tend to run it without the considerations due an altered engine, burn it up, and here comes the warranty claims.

Balley's doesn't sell Huskys anymore ,or just not without purchasing at their store?

It's got a double barrel transfer which should help with the flow .The ex could stand some work to pep it up .The intake looks like it has been widened plenty .

With a tad bit of work it should boogie right along .Probabley does already .

I believe Makita baught out Dolmar and thats what your seeing the bailey's Cat now. Anyone ever try the Makita pruning saw ? They look resonably priced, just dont know if the have any zip.
Makita bought Dolmar before Baily's carryed them.
Makita bought them when the new generation came out, the 5-6-7000 series.

These univent have the cut off saws cylinder/piston.
Posting is therefor a bit different, but I think this is stock straight out of the box.

Balanced I doubt they are as that alone would give 20% more power and that you would notice!

If it were balanced and porting was done, piston/cylinder would look diffrent after a tank of fuel, especially since it is not Alcylate.

If you're thinking about a 361, the 362 is out in some places. A bit heavier but still lighter than the 372 [that's a good saw]

I haven't heard much about them yet, but 361s might be a bit scarce soon.8)

http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/MS362.html

A 361 or 362... won't hold a candle to a 372. The Husqvarna is 11 more cc's. not even in the same class... so weight isn't the issue.

Gary

For real!! I've run both back to back Jeff, I'd take the 044/440 over the 361 any day! You can't even notice the weight difference at all when using them, but you sure notice the power difference in a hurry!
If you are hell bent on a new one, look for a Dolmar 7900, same weight as a 440 but runs with a 460 (but dealers are scarce around here), a 372 while you still can get one, or a used 440.
The 361 is a decent saw, but it's main suit is for firewooders as a single saw.

You can't even notice the weight difference at all when using them, but you sure notice the power difference in a hurry!
When using it on the ground I would. But after doing TDs all day, then on your hooks tossing chunks a 1/2 lb lighter saw can make a big diff & I am not weak by any stretch.

If I could find a newer 44 I would be happy. The Dolmars seem a tad flimsy compared to Stihls & Husqys. I am not convinced they are the hot rod some claim.:big-cigar:

Is the Univent still available? What about the 372?

Brian are they truly the same saw? I mean did they go cheap on them some how ?

Back