Near balance point rigging video

murphy4trees

TreeHouser
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuBRXDTpzFE

Nothing too crazy... 10 cuts.. And it does clearly show many of the advantages of tying off near the balance point as mentioned in an earlier thread ... better ability to steer the piece with the hinge, reducing shock loads (less movement after seperation) There was no room to let many of the pieces run, and easier handling of the piece by groundies. ...

Going spikeless made the limb walking much easier. Up and down in an hour..
There is also one cut on another tree at the end of the video. Peter Fixler was the climber. Lowering line was set and tied off from the ground.

Damm thats unreal you sure know your stuff!!!Thanks for posting it i always read your posts and learn something.

Thanks Damian

Why were the limbs roped, and why was it necessary for the leads to be "balanced?"

Just curious. I saw no targets, nor any reason for the climber to go through all that extra effort. Prehaps I'm missing something? That's not unusual for moi...

that was a good video and a nice tree. it's always nice when a day of rigging goes according to plan:D

I get some of the advantages of that method but still seems a bit out of control with big leads flailing around. Crucial climber/groundie interaction. Fun to watch but I wouldnt do it.

Seems most of those limbs could have just been spear cut without roping, drop them butt first in order to avoid breaking up the other tree. The overgrown weeds indicated this was not a manicured landscape area so I would not see myself even considering roping limbs in that tree.

But it looks like good practice for an inexperienced rigger though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Take a closer look there Rocky... Rose garden in the foreground, just above the retaining wall... entire left side of the tree was hanging over a beautiful little dogwood, which did get one branch broken on the final cut, due to poor communication between climber and groundman (he let it run) which would have been fine if it wasn't butt heavy.. and there was a nice little crabappl to the right of the LZ... Client was particularly concerned that no damage was done. It's not Florida but not the woods either... Even if it were, I wouldn't have taken a chance on breaking up the other trees or getting stuck with a big hanger... Hard to see what is going on in a little low quality youtube video..

What the heck is up with that. I hate posting on U Tube because of this reason.

It looked pretty smooth to me...looked like controlled movements of the limbs you cut. Good video...thanks for taking the time to post.

The key factor in making this type of rigging work well is to have a climber and groundman on the same page. The biggest danger is having a hinge break too soon and the butt slamming into the climber. As long as everyone does their job right, no problemo. :)

The key factor in making this type of rigging work well is to have a climber and groundman on the same page.

The biggest danger is having a hinge break too soon and the butt slamming into the climber.

As long as everyone does their job right, no problemo. :)

i love it when i have someone that i ve worked with long enough that we dont even have to really speak of the requirements it just flows with a couple of hand signals and looks exchanged

ive got 2 real good rope men, 1 i trust whole heartedly with my life the other is getting there

i hate it when the rope catches the tip of your boot on the last few limbs near the whippy tippy

had a great rope man in evansville jeff hall....we worked great together

unlike the clown who stopped a huge top going over, let it run and stopped it again, and screamed yeeeha...just like riding a bull son.....all the while my saw flung around and hit me in the face...lets just say he never ran my rope again s o b

good roping easy on the groundies

Why go spikeless on a takedown? That means having to set a line from the ground first. I'd walk right up the tree, roping out a few small limbs on the way up, thereby opening holes for the upper stuff, then tie in at the top and get'r done.

I've taken down many trees without ever "officially" tying in. I have my climbing line along with my lanyard and cut/lower everything as I go up, then block my way back down. I know it won't work on all trees, but it does on lots of them.

Yessir, what I meant was not going to the top first to tie in and then coming back down. Work from the bottom up, then from the top down. It won't work on all trees, but it will on many.

Back