Your thoughts on this....

• Thread starter top hopper
  • Start date
  • Replies 19
  • Views 2K
Is this a new business or an established name? The brochure looks great.

Looks pretty good to me, although I disagree with the thinning part and you wrote "truck" instead of "trunk" in the sucker section.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Its not mine Brent, its a local competitor's.

Im particularly looking at the thinning and sucker growth paragraphs. I too disagree with the thinning bit, and believe its counter productive to remove sucker growth as they seem to believe it be beneficial.

I don't think the use of shady in the name is all that wise. too many bad connotations

It seems to have a lot of out of date ideas like the thinning paragraph and the part on "suckers."

Interior foliage is very important to tree health, allowing transpiration to continue during periods of stress/ drought when the exterior foliage is cooked from the sun and dried up. But that doesn't look very 'clean' and it doesn't sell many pruning jobs.

Suckers are there for a reason.

I try to pick and choose which ones to remove, taking note of the attachment, direction of growth, and size.

I hate the way a skinned tree looks.

I always wonder what "facts" about trees we are telling folks now will turn out to be unsupportable later.

I always wonder what "facts" about trees we are telling folks now will turn out to be unsupportable later.
:lol: Good point.
Take for example, the ISA HEAVILY promoted wound paint. It was the 'law' to paint each and every cut.

Now, the ISA heavily promotes 'directional pruning' for the line clearance people.

Originally Posted by Old Monkey:
Almost as if he got certified as an arborist more than ten years ago.
Ongoing seminars should deal with that for the most part.
Is being old a bad thing?

I call lionstailing the 'lazy man's prune'

Last edited:
They are wrong on the "sucker growth" part. I know we call it that, but "suckers" grow from the ground. "water sprouts" grow on the tree.
Jeff

I got this far
All trees have a natural tendency to over produce foliage. When we thin trees, we take away unnecessary foliage that burdens the root system
and quit reading

Back