192 T HELP!!!

• Thread starter Wagnaw
  • Start date
  • Replies 30
  • Views 4K
W

Wagnaw

So, I bought a 192T months ago, and since the day I bought it, it has not reliably run full throttle. Every now and then, it'll run fine, but 99% of the time, it does this...

Starts well and idles great.

When you give it fuel initially, it revs, hits full throttle for a second or two, then dies. When it dies it sounds as though it is getting too much fuel.

Then, it has trouble revving without bogging down.

I've adjusted the carb a million times, tried leaning it a bit on the low and high, tried riching it up a bit on the low and high, took off the limiter too. I cannot figure it out!

Any ideas??

Have you tried dropping it out of a tree?

j/k

Maybe an air leak?

Have you taken apart the carburetor to clean it, and checked the gaskets and diaphragms....fuel inlet needle, etc?

If you know the problem is in the carb but cannot adjust it out, then one option is to simply buy a new carb. It might cost you $75 but then it will be fixed and you have a spare carb. If you take it to a shop for repairs, they will charge you for a carb rebuild kit plus an hour of labor, so you still end up paying $75 and you may or may not have fixed the problem.

Skwerl is right, but why not make it a good time to learn carb rebuild basics. You will likely be glad you did, if future problems arise.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'll take the carb apart tonight, and check for air leaks. Then I'll check back.

Thanks!!

Edit for the record... I've taken apart plenty of carbs, but it doesn't make it any more fun. I remember cleaning carbs while in school, getting all covered in gas, then going to Organic lab and breathing all sorts of ethers. Blah.

I'm no carb expert by any means (which is why I end up buying new carbs) but I'd be checking the fuel metering lever height.

Doesn't sound like an air leak.

The diaphragms should be soft and flexible....guess you already know that. Seems like most carb problems are from the diaphragms getting old. Dirt in the intake screen could be a factor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cool. Will do. I have a carb diagram that may shed some light.

I had the dealer rebuild mine under warranty. It helped with the same issue. Since then, I have done some mod work to the muffler and re-adjusted the carb. It's made a difference in how it handles. I haven't done much cutting since the modding, so I can't make a definite call on how much.

Starts well and idles great.

When you give it fuel initially, it revs, hits full throttle for a second or two, then dies. When it dies it sounds as though it is getting too much fuel.

Then, it has trouble revving without bogging down.

Any ideas??
For reasons unknown it's not shifting from mid throttle to wide open throttle .

The pressure drop from idle to mid range causes the fuel to be sucked from both jets .Upon full throttle operation the majority of the fuel is taken friom the high speed jet which is farthest way from the cylinder .

There has to be some type of a blockage which prevents the fuel from getting there .I would say fuel shut off lever or stiff metering diaphragm if it not for the fact it's nearly a new saw . Try raising the lever a tad and see if that helps .

Usually if it dies on the vine at high speed it's because the metering diaphragm and associated components aren't allowing enough fuel to be sucked into it on the impulse from the engine . At that point you are literaly over running the carb .In other words using more fuel than the carb can deliver because of whatever reasons .

After thought for crying out loud how could I forget it ,good grief :?.Often times the damned screen in the carb gets full of tiny little wood fibers that find their way past the filter .

I have no idea how they do this but they do .These things will cause you coniption fits and pull your hair out if you have any to pull out .Simple fix but real easy to over look .Take it from one who has been there .;)

I'm with Brian on this! I've cleaned tha carb on mine three times, rebuilt it twice, still no love, then the coil went. It's a basket case now sitting on a shelf!
The muffler mod helps quite a bit, but after owning a 200t, I'll never buy another one!

I've never even seen a 192 let alone run one .The boyz of the trees around here run 200's.

However,a carb is a carb and a saw is a saw ,they all work the same .Don't let a carb get the best of you,they aren't that smart .;)

I don't worry myself over those matters. Instead, I take it to my saw guy and he fixes it for me, on the spot. That's what I love about him.

:)

192 isnt much better than an echo IMO. Carb-wise that is.....

Just a wee thought, if it is an intermittant problem(only occasionally running ok) could it be electrical?

I heard on some of the earlier 192s there was an earthing problem and had a recall.

Just a thought.

Pete.

PS, if it is an older saw, perhaps tank filter is worth a look also.

That is entirely possible .Some designs of solid state ignitions incorperate a type of phase shift network which advances the spark at higher rpms'.

Although it would be rare and I've only seen one that was defective .The thing would start fine but at about half throttle cut out .

My Dad bought a Homie 330 back in the mid 80's. It ran good for a while, then started running like Wagnaws. It was under warranty but they couldn't get it done in a timely manner so he asked me to take a look. I took the carb H and L needles out and carb cleaner and aired them. Everything else looked fine. That fixed it. Must have been a piece of something broke loose. It was to new to be dirtied up.

try spraying the carb area with compressed air while it is running. see if there is any changes

Back