Large Stihl mount 48"

Al Smith

Mac Daddy
I've searched high and low on the net but came up with nothing so far .

Tom the tree guy is looking for a 48" .404 for an 084 Stihl .Makes no diff what make it is ,Oregon,Windser,what ever . I suppose a 3/8" would work also if push came to shove .

Evidently he is bidding a giant azzed tree that will take that much bar or at least he thinks it will .So any help would be greatfully thanked .

I suppose worse came to worse that saw in my avatar would work I just prefer it not be used to stump out a big old tree unless I'm running it .

What kind of saw is that in your avatar, Al.
Doesn't Bailey's have that bar? that is where I get large mount bars for my 088 and 084 before the 084 went to the happy hunting grounds for saws.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Stig that's a 2100s Homelite with a 48" Mac branded 48" usable length passed the dogs chainsaw bar .143 driver lengths of .404 chisel chain .

The saw engine is 7 cu inch or 114 cc .Most likely circa late 60's early 70's .

I sent an e-mail to Tony at Amicks regarding the bar .Baileys didn't list one that I could find .Then again they don't list every thing and I doubt they sell too many long bars . I may try and make contact with Gregg Grande next week about this .

This isn't the PNW but every so often a giant hardwood comes up and this is one of those rare times . I have no idea what it is but oak or cottonwood would be my guess .

I know they are available I just can't find one on the net except those high priced arbor pro or Cannons at Baileys for a kings ransom .:)

I've got a .063 in 36" with an 088 mount (on an 090) that i'd like to part with. Near new condition, just need a 42". Let me know if he can use it

I just got off the phone from talking to Baileys .Evidently all they have is those high priced rebadged Cannons same as their web site .According to the guy on the phone they pretty much sold off that misc old stock they had rat holed away .

Dang I may end up cutting that damned stump yet .:(

Maybe you could modify a cheaper bar for another model to make it work, re-drill the oil holes, or modify the slot, things known to be sometimes secretly done by cheap desperate people. 8)

Can't find a bar,cheap or not .I could rework one if I could just find one .

It's up to Tom anyway .Depends if he gets the job I recon .If he does even that high priced bar will be more than paid for with just that job .

A big old fat tree like that makes most of the lesser local tree guys turn tail and run .:lol:Ha,I've seen a number of them peeled down to about 30 foot and there sits a big old fat 4 1/2 foot oak trunk like a statue .Ah,makes you wonder .

I dunno,given enough time I could likely do it with a Mini Mac.Might take a while .:lol: I actually did cut out a 36" soft maple with an s-25 Poulan with a 14" bar . I had no choice,all I owned at the time .Poor as a church mouse in those days .

Church mice must need to get some sort of union sponsored cross-edumacation plan so they can get better jobs.:D

Now old Stig might have attacked it with a cross cut saw .Ahh,you're a better man than I Gunga Din .:lol:

Those spars eventually get taken down .It just tickles me how long some of them sit there before that happans .

I guess I shouldn't talk ... I have one out back (3 Leader) not nearly as big around as you speak of Al still in the air.. But I did it on purpose. Katy was going to plant wisteria on it and possibly an owl or bat house.. It is going to find itself horizontal this year. She changed her mind after 5 years... HAHAHA

The most comical one I ever saw was a weeping willow about a mile and a half from me .They wacked all the limbs and just left about 18-20 feet of trunk .That stupid thing has to be nearly 6 feet across ,I mean fat as butterball .

After about 4-5 years that thing looks like a woman with a bad hair day,willow canes everywhere .The only way to kill a willow is with dynamite .

The most comical one I ever saw was a weeping willow about a mile and a half from me .They wacked all the limbs and just left about 18-20 feet of trunk .That stupid thing has to be nearly 6 feet across ,I mean fat as butterball .

After about 4-5 years that thing looks like a woman with a bad hair day,willow canes everywhere .The only way to kill a willow is with dynamite .

ummm, the big one on the old home place came out with a d7----

Back