Know what these are?

Fiddler

Treehouser
Have these on parts of shrub by house and was wondering if anyone could identify them.

Attachments

• what?.jpg
    what?.jpg
    478.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wife said they have been on it before but this is the first time I've noticed them.

there are several groups of them spread around the plant. they are quite hard.
Are they harmful?

No, that's the "fruit" of the plant. Not harmful at all. You could probably make gin with them if you were so inclined.

cool, thanks. They don't show very often as i've not noticed them and lived here 40 yrs.

They can build a wal mart around this place....I'll pass on living here.

Don't make gin of thuja berries, they contain at least two poisons that I know of: thujaplicine and thujone.
Thujone is also found in wormwood( artemisia absinthium).
As the name suggests, it was one of the ingredients of absinth ( the one that drove Toulouse Lautrec mad in fact).

If you want gin, stick to juniper berries.

Nope, that would be "Smaragdgrøn", quite the toungetwister ain't it?
Smaragd simply means emerald.
Why do you ask?

the common name for them here is emerald cedar, somewhere I read that smaragd meant emerald green, I will take your translation for the truth. :)

Mange tak.

Wife said they have been on it before but this is the first time I've noticed them.

there are several groups of them spread around the plant. they are quite hard.
Are they harmful?

Think they look weird? Wait to they get cedar apple rust... that's some weird shite.

A Thuja orientalis, not Thuja occidentalis. :P

The cone of the orientalis is glaucous with the horn-like process or hook. The occidentalis cone is green when immature turning brown, and oblong.

Dave

Although we are surrounded by apple orchards here I have yet to see any
Apple cedar rust.

Well how many cedars do you have then eh? Takes two to swap fluids, and sustain a 2-host disease. :D In VA orchard country they banned redcedars.

they look like 'Emerald Green' arborvitae, which did well for a time at the NCSU arboretum but succumbed in time, most think to a bad case of "the vapors"; summer mugginess and bad drainage. :big-mad-no:

If only you could get the damn deer to prune them in a nice orderly fashion, instead of just mowing everything green off of them five feet up from the ground.

Oh, it takes more than one cedar then? I thought it went between apples and cedars. Guess I ought to read up on it a bit. We have just the one here. Maybe three all together on our little street.

I'm guessing we aren't seeing it here because we are upwind/upweather of most of the orchards that are within 3 miles. Almost never see the wind coming from NE and very seldom form NW.

Back